Gros Piton Trail

Gros Piton Trail is a 5.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near the city of Micoud, St. Lucia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

5.1 km
561 m

Challenging summit hike to stunning views of land and sea. Along the Western coast of St. Lucia rests the majestic peak of Gros Piton. Rising dramatically out of the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean; Gros Piton and it's sister peak Petite Piton set an iconic symbol for the adventurous nature of St. Lucia island. The road less traveled, leads to the small village of Fond Gens Libre, where you will meet your guide (required) at the interpretive center, pay the required $30 USD permit fee and start your hike. The way is steep, wet and littered with boulders and roots. This is not an easy stroll along a nature trail. This is a difficult summit hike up 2200 vertical feet. At the end of the hike, sign the summit register (also located at the interpretive center) buy a t-shirt and enjoy the ride back home!

My fiancée and I are experienced hikers and no strangers to climbing peaks such as Gros Piton. We chose to do this climb because we were vacationing in St Lucia and wanted a special memory to bring back home from our trip.

We made it up and back in about 4 hours. We rented a walking stick to help us hike which proved invaluable. We also had 1.5L water each.

The ascent is quite strenuous as the trail is very steep and highly broken up with large rocks and roots. You will spend maybe 100 yards walking on dirt the entire hike. There are a few natural stopping points along the way where there is a break in the foliage allowing you to look out onto waters far below. Natural and man-made handholds along the way make the climb up doable with the only real challenge being the steep angle of climb.

Now is the time to mention that before being allowed to start the hike you must sign a liability waiver. At the time it felt like a pretty standard thing to do.

The descent is far more challenging than the ascent. Large, irregular steps down from rock to rock are not helped by all of the handholds that were available to you to pull your way up. Also, the top half of the trail is quite wet so you are stepping onto wet and often muddy stones and roots making each step treacherous. It’s a miracle no one in our group slipped and hurt themselves. It’s the type of hike that makes you wish for a helmet. The requirement to sign away liability now becomes relevant.

At the conclusion of the hike we purchased and consumed another 1.5L bottle of water before heading out to return to our resort and a hot soak.

We’re glad we did the hike. Great memories and pictures. One last comment though. Because of the broken terrain you really won’t spend any time while hiking looking around. Your head will be down watching foot placement, especially on the descent. Not that you could see much anyway due to how heavy the foliage is on the mountain.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

As an avid climber and hiker, this was on my must-do list for our St. Lucia trip. Compared to other peaks I have climbed, this one was much different. Given the rain-forest climate, the vegetation is tall and thick, preventing any kind of a view on the climb up. Even the summit's view is somewhat limited (i.e. not a 360* panoramic view). There are stopping points a quarter of the way up and halfway up, both of which offer stunning views (see my pic of the halfway point). I would rate the difficulty as moderate for a seasoned hiker/climber or hard for an average person. The trail is steep and sometimes requires hands to pull yourself up. All of that being said, it was worth it to climb perhaps the most iconic peak in the Caribbean and to stand atop a World Heritage Site! A much recommended break from the beaches!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

qw

Thursday, August 04, 2011

If you hike, and travel to St. Lucia, you'll want to summit Gros Piton (because it's there). That said; the type of hike (guided), the style of hike (limited views), just wasn't my thing. Next time I'm in St. Lucia I'll probably stick with scuba diving and leave the climbing for another destination.

Monday, June 12, 2017