Camino de Santiago Frances is a 554.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 554.6 miles Elevation Gain: 66,361 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

historic site

The Camino de Santiago, also known as the "Pilgrimage of Compostela" or the Way of Saint James is a network of pilgrims' paths travelled as a pilgrimage to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain, where legend has it that the remains of the saint are buried. Many follow its routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth. It is also popular with hiking and cycling enthusiasts and organized tour groups. The French Way (Camino Francés) and the Routes of Northern Spain are the courses which are listed in the World Heritage List by UNESCO. This is a multi week long hike that can be done at a variety of paces and with a variety of starting points. We have complied a list, here: https://www.alltrails.com/lists/camino-de-santiago-frances--3 where you can find day hike sections of the trail for easy downloading.

Best thing I ever did in my life. Also my first day ever of hiking was tackling the Pyrenees :)

My husband and I went in September 2019. Life changing experience.

As others have said, life changing. Mostly had beautiful days, a couple not so beautiful days, wonderful people, and an incredible experience. If you can take the time I would recommend doing it in one trip. Not just so you can get it done but to fully appreciate every day that you get to do it, uninterrupted. It took us 35 days to Santiago but we continued 3 more days to Finistetrré and then Muxia. My favorite part was probably the last 3 days where it was much less traveled and felt like it was a much slower pace.

Life changing. The recording would stop on its own while walking. Had to keep checking it several times a day for 2 months.

Life changing experience! Completed the entire Camino in 36 days with some rest days included. An average of 25km per day.

my favourite hike in the world.

we walked the Camino in August 2019, finishing on September 7. a completely exhilarating walk. some hard parts some easy. most people complete it within 30-35 days, we took 34. fantastic villages and hamlets, picturesque countryside, beautiful people. walking the full Camino has been my greatest lifetime achievement and i cannot wait to do the next one Buen Camino

recorded Camino de Santiago Frances

The recording kept stopping during my Camino so it has breaks during the trail that are not accurate.

My wife and I did the Camino Frances in July and August of 2017 from St Jean to Santiago in 34 days. It was an extraordinary pilgrimage for us -- a true 24/7 marriage encounter. We loved the fellow Pilgrims, the history, the culture and the food & wine. It was an amazing physical and spiritual journey. Our 17 and 19 year-old kids joined us at about the half-way point in Leon; our 22 year-old joined us all for the last 5 days from Sarria. Our family of 5 arrived happily together in Santiago on August 21. We recommend this trip with the highest possible acclaim. Go for it -- Buen Camino!

Do it! Walked June-July, loads of wildflowers, amazing views, beautiful people, fun, friendly, can’t wait to walk again. Buen Camino!

This trek will change your like. Walked from France to the ocean in Spain. Saw amazing thing, met and made life-long friends from all over the world. Learned more about myself in 26 days than i had in 60 years. Get a small pack and your favorite shoes and walk. Most definitely recommended

Completed this pilgrimage in fall 2017. Took us 5.5 weeks. Was an indescribable experience/journey, that will stay with us for life. Met so many wonderful people from all over the world. Made lifetime friends. We physically prepared some prior to start, but all-in-all, found that our bodies got in shape and trained while walking the Camino! Buen Camino!

good city to city/visit church hike. you get to stay at the church Lodge or others place 16 euro or cheaper. . easy but long walk. very long, go early when not too hot in the summer or Sept.

amazing great pilgrimage loads people to meet relatively cheap well accommodated for pilgrims

Completed the Camino Frances in May 2018. Though not a true backpacking experience it opened my eyes and it became the best and most exhilarating experience in my life. Definitely, addicting as I would love to return to the same route but take longer than 35 days to complete it. This time learn some Spanish before I go. You'll make friends for life and whatever you need, the Camino wil provide.

A walk around after finishing for the day

it was awesome !!!

epic. just do it

It is a lifetime experience to walk on Camino de Santiago. You cross mountains, plains, cities, towns, dessert and finish with at the ocean.

J'ai parcouru le Camino Frances deux fois: une fois en mars-mai 2018 (33 jours); une fois mars-avril 2019 (28 jours). Il y a beaucoup d'albergues bon marché, ainsi que de chambres privées et d'hôtels le long du chemin. En 2018, j'ai eu tout un tas de cloques et un temps terrible au début, mais cela a été suivi de nombreuses journées ensoleillées. Cette année, 2019, j’ai également connu des conditions météorologiques défavorables au début, mais pas aussi rigoureuses que l’année dernière, suivies de journées généralement nuageuses avec un soleil intermittent. Je préfère les mois de mars-avril pour marcher dans le Camino car il ne fait pas aussi chaud, il n’est pas aussi encombré et les logements sont plus disponibles et légèrement moins chers que pendant la haute saison de mai à septembre. Il s’agit d’une randonnée longue distance qui a le plus de commodités que n’importe quelle autre randonnée longue distance du monde. C'est aussi inspirant que culturel et cela permet de rencontrer des gens du monde entier. Below is a poem that I wrote which was inspired by the experience. Hope you enjoy. The Camino by Ricardo Moretti It started as an idea that became a dream. Fondly, I embraced the adventure of the Way Etched by the footsteps of a 1,000 years and more. It wasn’t without its ups and downs, and there were many, But the hard parts made easy by simple pilgrim smiles and the beauty of life. The end is here and I have learned something: I can be more than what I was. A reality well-hidden but found on my rocky path called the Camino.

Sat Feb 09 2019

As tough as this walk can be both physically and mentally, it is equally (and even more so) as rewarding. The terrain itself is not overly difficult, but the distances, day after day, can be a challenge. Make sure you know where you’ll be getting your water and pack it accordingly. Some stretches without a water source are long and the heat can be life threatening without proper hydration. Do not underestimate this!! Also, though there is not any rock climbing, the trails can be very steep and go on for km after km. Make sure your knees are strong before you begin this trek. Downhill can be a big challenge after a few days. If you decide to do this amazing challenge I wish you a BUEN CAMINO!

Mon Jan 07 2019

great

Sun Dec 09 2018

My first long hike.... loved it!!!

Sat Nov 17 2018

Trail community is great! Some areas could use some trail maintenance and can be busy. Still, an amazing and addictive experience.

Wed Nov 14 2018

I walked the Camino Frances in the fall of 2015, taking seven weeks. I plan to do it again in the spring of 2019. There were good days and some not-so-good days but every day had good parts to look back on.

Mon Oct 22 2018

Did this in 2014. It changed my life and continues to do so. Would recommend anyone to do this trek alone in its entirely. It's gifts are endless and keep on giving for years after.