For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Camino de Santiago Frances is a 554.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Length 554.6 mi Elevation gain 66,361 ft Route type Point to Point

City walk

Historic site

Description
Waypoints (2)

El Camino de Santiago, también conocido como la "Peregrinación de Compostela" o el Camino de Santiago es una red de caminos de peregrinos recorridos como peregrinación al santuario del apóstol Santiago el Grande en la catedral de Santiago de Compostela en Galicia. en el noroeste de España, donde la leyenda dice que los restos del santo están enterrados. Muchos siguen sus rutas como una forma de camino espiritual o retiro para su crecimiento espiritual. También es popular entre los entusiastas del senderismo y el ciclismo y los grupos de turistas organizados. El Camino Francés y las Rutas del norte de España son los cursos que figuran en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial de la UNESCO. Esta es una caminata de varias semanas que se puede hacer en una variedad de ritmos y con una variedad de puntos de partida. Hemos completado una lista, aquí: https://www.alltrails.com/lists/camino-de-santiago-frances--3 donde puede encontrar secciones de caminata de un día para una fácil descarga.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (219)
Photos (242)
Recordings (203)
Completed (166)
Patricia Roque
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020

Biggest challenge I set myself to date. Beautiful landscapes, mountains, forests, rivers and plains as far as the eye can see.Very rich cathedrals that reflect the history of an ancient country. Silent and simple chapels. Divine food and wine. I made the journey alone, but I never really felt alone. Met extraordinary people, with very interesting life stories. Each person with their motivations, but we all had something in common: we overcame adversity and became more flexible and tolerant. When we arrived in Compostela we all felt stronger. I loved it! I recommend.

Jeffery Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 24, 2020
Hiking

I’ve hiked the Camino four times and love every route I’ve done, it’s amazing. Buen Camino!

Rosalee Ann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2020
Hiking

Best thing I ever did in my life. Also my first day ever of hiking was tackling the Pyrenees :)

Glad Girl & Walking Zen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 4, 2020
Hiking

My husband and I went in September 2019. Life changing experience.

David Cochrane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2019
Backpacking

As others have said, life changing. Mostly had beautiful days, a couple not so beautiful days, wonderful people, and an incredible experience. If you can take the time I would recommend doing it in one trip. Not just so you can get it done but to fully appreciate every day that you get to do it, uninterrupted. It took us 35 days to Santiago but we continued 3 more days to Finistetrré and then Muxia. My favorite part was probably the last 3 days where it was much less traveled and felt like it was a much slower pace.

Christina W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 3, 2019
Hiking

Life changing. The recording would stop on its own while walking. Had to keep checking it several times a day for 2 months.

Christine Walsh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 29, 2019

Life changing experience! Completed the entire Camino in 36 days with some rest days included. An average of 25km per day.

johnroyYHZ User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2019
Hiking

my favourite hike in the world.

David Paton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2019

we walked the Camino in August 2019, finishing on September 7. a completely exhilarating walk. some hard parts some easy. most people complete it within 30-35 days, we took 34. fantastic villages and hamlets, picturesque countryside, beautiful people. walking the full Camino has been my greatest lifetime achievement and i cannot wait to do the next one Buen Camino

Christina W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

The recording kept stopping during my Camino so it has breaks during the trail that are not accurate.

View Christina's Recording
Dennis Wagner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2019
Hiking

My wife and I did the Camino Frances in July and August of 2017 from St Jean to Santiago in 34 days. It was an extraordinary pilgrimage for us -- a true 24/7 marriage encounter. We loved the fellow Pilgrims, the history, the culture and the food & wine. It was an amazing physical and spiritual journey. Our 17 and 19 year-old kids joined us at about the half-way point in Leon; our 22 year-old joined us all for the last 5 days from Sarria. Our family of 5 arrived happily together in Santiago on August 21. We recommend this trip with the highest possible acclaim. Go for it -- Buen Camino!

tricia u.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
Hiking

Do it! Walked June-July, loads of wildflowers, amazing views, beautiful people, fun, friendly, can’t wait to walk again. Buen Camino!

Del Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

This trek will change your like. Walked from France to the ocean in Spain. Saw amazing thing, met and made life-long friends from all over the world. Learned more about myself in 26 days than i had in 60 years. Get a small pack and your favorite shoes and walk. Most definitely recommended

Dana D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2019
Hiking

Completed this pilgrimage in fall 2017. Took us 5.5 weeks. Was an indescribable experience/journey, that will stay with us for life. Met so many wonderful people from all over the world. Made lifetime friends. We physically prepared some prior to start, but all-in-all, found that our bodies got in shape and trained while walking the Camino! Buen Camino!

Sy Nitti
Hiking

good city to city/visit church hike. you get to stay at the church Lodge or others place 16 euro or cheaper. . easy but long walk. very long, go early when not too hot in the summer or Sept.

Jamie Mcgarry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 29, 2019

amazing great pilgrimage loads people to meet relatively cheap well accommodated for pilgrims

Eric Tan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 8, 2019

Completed the Camino Frances in May 2018. Though not a true backpacking experience it opened my eyes and it became the best and most exhilarating experience in my life. Definitely, addicting as I would love to return to the same route but take longer than 35 days to complete it. This time learn some Spanish before I go. You'll make friends for life and whatever you need, the Camino wil provide.

Malcolm Mackellar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2019
Hiking

A walk around after finishing for the day

View Malcolm's Recording
Daan Renes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 27, 2019

it was awesome !!!

Sheralee O'Brien
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2019

epic. just do it

Jasmeet Nagi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2019
Hiking

It is a lifetime experience to walk on Camino de Santiago. You cross mountains, plains, cities, towns, dessert and finish with at the ocean.

Ricardo M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 26, 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScrambleSnowWashed out

J'ai parcouru le Camino Frances deux fois: une fois en mars-mai 2018 (33 jours); une fois mars-avril 2019 (28 jours). Il y a beaucoup d'albergues bon marché, ainsi que de chambres privées et d'hôtels le long du chemin. En 2018, j'ai eu tout un tas de cloques et un temps terrible au début, mais cela a été suivi de nombreuses journées ensoleillées. Cette année, 2019, j’ai également connu des conditions météorologiques défavorables au début, mais pas aussi rigoureuses que l’année dernière, suivies de journées généralement nuageuses avec un soleil intermittent. Je préfère les mois de mars-avril pour marcher dans le Camino car il ne fait pas aussi chaud, il n’est pas aussi encombré et les logements sont plus disponibles et légèrement moins chers que pendant la haute saison de mai à septembre. Il s’agit d’une randonnée longue distance qui a le plus de commodités que n’importe quelle autre randonnée longue distance du monde. C'est aussi inspirant que culturel et cela permet de rencontrer des gens du monde entier. Below is a poem that I wrote which was inspired by the experience. Hope you enjoy. The Camino by Ricardo Moretti It started as an idea that became a dream. Fondly, I embraced the adventure of the Way Etched by the footsteps of a 1,000 years and more. It wasn’t without its ups and downs, and there were many, But the hard parts made easy by simple pilgrim smiles and the beauty of life. The end is here and I have learned something: I can be more than what I was. A reality well-hidden but found on my rocky path called the Camino.

Joanne Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 9, 2019
Hiking

As tough as this walk can be both physically and mentally, it is equally (and even more so) as rewarding. The terrain itself is not overly difficult, but the distances, day after day, can be a challenge. Make sure you know where you’ll be getting your water and pack it accordingly. Some stretches without a water source are long and the heat can be life threatening without proper hydration. Do not underestimate this!! Also, though there is not any rock climbing, the trails can be very steep and go on for km after km. Make sure your knees are strong before you begin this trek. Downhill can be a big challenge after a few days. If you decide to do this amazing challenge I wish you a BUEN CAMINO!

thomas stuart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 7, 2019

great

David Cornell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 9, 2018

My first long hike.... loved it!!!

Rhettleigh Milnor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 17, 2018

Trail community is great! Some areas could use some trail maintenance and can be busy. Still, an amazing and addictive experience.