Granada Walking Tour: Alhambra and Albaicin

Granada Walking Tour: Alhambra and Albaicin is a 6.9 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Granada, Granada, Spain. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking.

6.9 km
212 m
Point to Point

city walk

historic site

Granada is the quintessential remnant of Moorish Spain. This medium-sized city houses the world's greatest example of the north African culture's architecture - the amazing citadel and palaces of the Alhambra, where Columbus got the royal OK to go off and explore the 'new world'. But, reflecting its diverse religious roots, Granada also hosts arguably the most accessible displays of the dramatic Catholic Easter celebrations of Semana Santa. This trail tours through the Alhambra, returns through Granada's most Moorish neighborhood of Albacin and finishes at the city's best viewpoint for enjoying both. You could do it all in one day but it's probably better to spend most of a day at the Alhambra alone to do it justice.

Beautiful Alhambra walking and light hiking day trip.

I explored southern Spain in early-November, driving from Madrid, after an epic pilgrimage walking the Camino de Santiago (plug for the Camino: it was one of the best -- if not the best -- experiences of my life). Alhambra became one of my highlights of Spain too, particularly since its Moorish architecture was a first for me. I took a tour that included a shuttle bus pick-up at the fountain square in Granada, but walked back to the city via the route shown here after touring Alhambra and Generalife.

Alhambra is one of those precious gems of the world. I was entranced by the tiled patterns and left wanting to craft something earthy with my hands, inspired by the artisanal decorations throughout. In short: it's a definite must while visiting Spain.

A couple things I would have done differently, knowing what I know now: 1) use Seville as my home base (instead of staying a night in Granada; I much prefer Seville, especially Barrio Santa Cruz) and take one of the many day-tours from Seville to Alhambra, and 2) visit Alcazar of Seville before Alhambra (their architecture are similar, but Alhambra blows Alcazar away. Since I saw Alhambra first, Alcazar was a bit disappointing).

uno de los mejores Sitios para Andar . .