Learn more

Fuente Ojito Nogal is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Benaocaz, Andalusia, Spain and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Length 3.2 mi Elevation gain 853 ft Route type Loop

Photos (3)
Recordings (1)
Completed (1)
Joseph Dunkin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 20, 2019
HikingMuddyOff trailOver grownPrivate propertyRockyScramble

Pay attention to the trail! When I read 3 mile easy loop, I expected to hike for about 2 hours with picture taking. I stop a lot, but my pace is usually pretty good. 2 hours was not the case. 4-5 hours later, I rolled into town in the dark and in the fog, drenched in sweat and bleeding. I was following the trail, and after circumventing what a cow blocking the gate, I missed the turn and hiked an extra ways out. By the time I realized I had missed it, I decided to follow the extended loop back to the original trail as it looked like it would be easier. Huge mistake. Low light, low visibility (due to fog), rain, and a lot of slippery rocks to climb over. I regretted my decision once I found myself climbing over boulders and other jagged rocks with what might have been cactus in either side. It was almost impossible to find the trail once I stepped off it. Almost as soon as I found the trail, I was face to face with a glowing set of eyes, probablly a cow, but I wasnt gonna risk it. I backed up and tripped over some rocks going around and lost the trail for a while. So, pay attention to the trail and be smart. It's a tough trail when you mess up. So, I did not do any planning. Just decided I would go for a hike. I do not recommend hiking this trail late or in low visibility. It is easy to lose the trail at the far points. Thank goodness I had the alltrails app pro version. Old school maps would work as well, but the all trails maps and gps made it alot easier to get back. I had a headlamp, but I was not prepared to camp. In a way, this is a note to my complacency. I have become accustomed to easy well marked trails, and have not been taking the proper precautions. If my phone had died, it would have been a long, cold, wet night.

Aiya F
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 6, 2018
First to Review

Benaocaz is in Cadiz, not in Caceres.