Platteklip Gorge to Upper Cable Station

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(189)
Table Mountain National Park

Platteklip Gorge to Upper Cable Station is a 2.6 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.6 km Elevation Gain: 694 m Route Type: Point to Point

A straight-up hike up Platteklip Gorge - past Fountain Peak, take the cable car (125 rand) to the top and back, then head back down to the trailhead.

Loved this trail, direct and beautiful. Keep going to Maclear's beacon, the true summit! Follow my instagram for more adventures @julie_journeys

We went on a hot day an accidentally started at the cable car. It was very challenging!

Beautiful trail! I did this hike with my friend when the sun was already in the sky but on a cooler day. it's a challenging, entirely uphill trail that's pretty busy and most groups we were walking with had to stop along the way. I suggest starting early, and taking plenty of water. We are two mid-20s females and felt safe the entire journey.

Super ascension vers Sommet. Tout plein de marche en roches assez tout le long. Belle vue sur la ville en montent et au sommet. Apporter quand même minimum 1L d’eau.

Superb Hike! We did it in 75mins so we were flying and the trail was not too congested. Couple of items. Bring a light jacket for the top. One water bottle per person. Start early. The crowds are large. This trail is one big stair master for most of the way.

This is an awesome trail that provides a different experience than Lions Head and other Cape Town hikes. I loved the rock steps and lush vegetation. My home was on a day with clouds and the visibility was limited. This did not affect the experience as it was walking up a steep set of steps in a beautiful gorge on rocks with the occasional amazing flowers. I took the cable car down due to time and the fact that some of the rocks w Might have been slippery on the way down. Overall, a great home and route!!

This hike was amazing!! Very strenuous but so worth it! Bring lots of water and make sure to wear sunscreen. We started at 4:15pm and it was PERFECT. Wasn’t too hot and we saw sunset at the top!

Beautiful hike...quite steep... my husband, 10YO, 5YO and I did it in less than 2 hours from the lower cable car station... didn’t want to wait in line... glad we did it. Great experience... need to be in pretty good shape though otherwise this will be a very difficult hike for you...

bring water

Loved this hike but it is not easy! Big stairs straight up the gorge. We started at the trailhead closest to the tram station which does add close to a mile more than what All Trails claims. So it was about 2.5 miles up and took us 1.5 hours. We heard most people say it took them between 3 and 4 hours. Bring TONS of water. There is almost no shade. Absolutely worth it to skip the 3 hour tram line. The views are indescribable.

I would recommend to anyone who loves to climb stairs! From the beginning to the end, you climb rock stairs up and down for 3 miles. Views at the top are great. It gets crowded on weekends. Need to be in moderate to good fitness or it’s not fun. I would climb again if the cable car was an option to ride back down.

Incredibly rocky and steep trail. The “stairs” are large rocks and boulders that make it difficult to step evenly the entire way. My husband and I made the ascent in an hour and a half and the descent took the same amount of time because of the trail difficulty. The views are pretty on a clear day, but I didn’t enjoy this hike much.

Go early to avoid crowds. We started at 7am and we’re at top at 9am. Gorgeous

A physical preparation is necessary for this path.