Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan Ridge Path

Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan Ridge Path is a 11.9 kilometer loop trail located near Arrochar, Argyll and Bute, Scotland that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing.

Distance: 11.9 km Elevation Gain: 969 m Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Ben Lomond is one of the most popular Munros, rewarding visitors with fantastic views of the length of Loch Lomond and far into the hills to the north and the Trossachs to the east. The route has been well made, however the return down the Ptarmigan ridge can be muddy and is rocky in places making the going more difficult in poor visibility.

Excellent hike. Stunning views. Highly recommend. Note, midges are pretty annoying (I wish I had brought bug spray). My gps records this as being 7.9 miles total. Be prepared for variable Scottish highland weather. Rain may blow in quickly, and may be cold.

They say it’s about the journey, not the destination, and that’s certainly true for this amazing hike. But the views at the top of the fog blows clear? Celestial. It’s a whale of an 8 mile hike, lots of rocky sections on the way up, and pack clothes for showers and high winds at the top. But so, so gorgeous. It felt like we stopped every 10 minutes on the way up to look at the view, and each time it was even more beautiful. So. Many. Photos. 10/10 would recommend.

Great walk. My first Munro on my own, found it difficult in places but definitely worth the climb!

Beautiful but hard. Definitely worth it! Was really lucky with the weather.

Went up the ptarmigan route and down the tourist route. 2h50min up and 2 hours down. it was very windy from ptarmigan peak onwards but we lucked out with good weather and dry conditions. Fantastic hike.

The summit was in the fog at the finish but very nice ride, for the first of our trip I was happy to see the end all the same. We met a lot of tourists in small basketball, imprudent, we had all the time during the ballad!

This is the first hike where I agree with the rating, difficult. I am better going up than down. Took me 2 1/2 up the tourist path and 2 1/2 down Ptarmagan. I am older and don't have the balance anymore coming down so took my time. Views were well worth the effort. Had a clear, bright, warm sunny day. Could not have been better.

I’m from the US. This was beautiful. I was not able to take pictures on the descent. Took 5 hours to complete the loop.

Busy hike on Easter Sunday but 100% worth it. Parking lot took some creativity to find a spot but suspect wouldn’t be as much of an issue on a non holiday. Do it.

This was a great hike but beware the weather. It’s a good 12k, with some steep inclines and the views are just stunning BUT . . . If it’s snowing, sleeting and particularly windy - be careful and be prepared as the ridges were tough, the snow deep and very little to hold onto. Almost turned into climbing fighting the elements. The walk back from the summit was nice but a bit basic considering the fight to get up it. However the views are just amazing. Recommend it!

Ptarmigan ridge is the best route to take both up and down if you like a challenge. The tourist route up is exactly that, full of foot traffic and really quite boring except for the views

Brilliant walk shame it was extremely windy at the top

Just completed this on Saturday. Loved it .. well worth a go ..

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Nice view but not an easy hiking. Weather changing so fast so better be ready.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

beautiful views

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Challenging yesterday afternoon with steady wind and gusts ~40mph. Great hike fantastic views on clear day.

Friday, July 13, 2018

Beast of a hike but awesome!