Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Meall a' Bhuachaille

Meall a' Bhuachaille is a 8.5 kilometer loop trail located near Aviemore, Highland, Scotland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 8.5 km Elevation Gain: 570 m Route Type: Loop

Nice day hike if you do not have all day, or in my case get a later start in November with the short daylight. I did the loop clockwise, opting for path from the green Loch that climbs a bit (right at the fork) more then the left path. This variation had some really nice view of mountains as I made my way back to the visitor's center. Had a bit of snow on the ascent but norhing normal hiking shoes can't handle.

Great walk with fabulous views all around. And a wee bothy to see too

Great hikes with lots of different terrain and great views. Very windy at and near the peak so have warm clothes on hand.

an amazing walk on a gorgeous day. mountains for miles :D

Moderate with some difficult patches on the descent especially when raining. Summit was very windy. Started the trail at Glenmore Visitors centre.

The weather can change very quickly. So we were not till the top. Very Nice trail. But sometimes hard.

Stunning views. we did the counter clockwise direction but I loved the views more in the opposite direction. The top was very windy.

Very beautiful hike ! The valley view is amazing . I would also say it’s moderate and not expert level

Great walk beautifull views

great little walk including a brilliant bothy a the wee green loch. definitely should be classed as moderate not hard.

Very nice views. Recommend going counterclockwise. This trail should be moderate, not hard.

Beautiful vista and lakes not crowded

Went clockwise to get the incline up the mountain out the way first. Fantastic views from the top and on the way down the other side overlooking the Green Loch. Nice bit of woodland walk after the loch to get back up to more great views before returning at the start point. Not too difficult, would probably class hike as moderate.

One of my favourite walks in the Cairngorms! Taking in the beautiful scenery, Ryvoan Bothy and the Green Loch. I prefer to do it in a clockwise direction but have done it both ways.

What a great walk! We enjoyed it very much. Lots of variety: forest, mountain, snow... The walk is steep but not very technical, so maybe it’s a moderate walk but the steep part keeps your blood pumping:) We started anti-clockwise because of the warm up and it’s a more beautiful part of the trail then what comes after you reach the top (very nice forest walk). After the top it’s all down hill and less beautiful, but it going fast and that’s in my opinion better because you already reach the top anyway;) We did the trail in March with good weather (had some snow falling and snow on the trail), but with bit of rain/hail it will be ok too.

Mon Oct 22 2018

My first ever hike. Really enjoyed it.Went anti clockwise , so a good warm up gradual walk before the ascent. Stunning view at the top although very windy. We took a jet boiler and made a cuppa. Trying to get over my fear of heights and met a lot of people on the way up and they were so encouraging, stopping to say hi and cheer me on.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Great view of two lochs, not to difficult really, maybe for half hour up the side of the hill, if traveling in anti clockwise direction.. but I took a couch potatoe with me and made good time.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Walked today in a clockwise direction. Much easier that way. Beautiful views and a good path.

Thu Sep 13 2018

I would consider this a more medium hike that a hard one. That being said it’s huge value for the amount of work. The views are wonderful and the path is well marked. There is a little technical foot placement on some of the down hill sections. It did rain on me (then hailed) most of the time but that’s Scotland.

Fri Jul 20 2018

Great trip with many stages and high degree of variation.

Mon Apr 30 2018

A pretty moderate (at best) walk. Short, sweet and less hard work than it looks.

Wed Oct 11 2017

Very nice uphill walk and then forested walk.