For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Ben Nevis Mountain Path is a 10.6 mile out and back trail located near Fort William, Highland, Scotland that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length 10.6 mi Elevation gain 4,422 ft Route type Out & Back

Scramble

Snow

Description
Waypoints (6)

The UK's highest point, "The Ben" or Ben Nevis, is frequently traveled. Sometimes rugged and rocky, the trek features wildlife, birding, a waterfall, and beautiful landscape. At the top, you'll find some ruins and a sweeping view. Come prepared for sudden changes in weather and rocky, uneven surfaces.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (273)
Photos (755)
Recordings (270)
Completed (555)
gail w
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky
Magda Wartalska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
Walking

Not difficult but hard to hike. A lot of high stones. Poor path signed at the end. It took us 6 hours up& down.

Kaleigh Standen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020

Absolutely loved it - my first every climb and I started with a tough one. It was worth every moment. Once we reached the top the mist disappeared and it was a clear sky with amazing views! Lived in Fort William all my life and I have finally completed Ben Nevis, the mountain people come to climb from all over the world. Absolutely loved it & would definitely do it again

Jennie Curtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

It’s a monster but worth it! I had a fine weather hiking day. Lots of folks on the trail but it absorbed them well enough. I imagine during a good weather weekend that might not be the case (I went on a Tuesday). It’s a good trail solo as there is no mistaking the trail. I could see though how poor weather would make it treacherous. But do it - it’s a mega accomplishment!

Tatjana S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

Jesus, this was an epic climb. I was doing this solo so made sure to have all the right equipment. The view on the way up was stunning, however once I passed the lake, the fog started to come through, and got thicker and thicker the higher I climbed. There were volunteers on the mountain doing some clearing up so I asked for some advice whether it was best for me to continue as I didn’t want to push my luck - they were really lovely and helpful and gave me the confidence to continue, it was still busy so I wouldn’t be alone. Honestly, that was so important as the fog got to the stage where I couldn’t see past 15 metres - it was quite spooky when people would just appear out of the fog! I stayed close to a lovely dad and daughter for the last part of the climb and made it to the summit. A tip if visibility is poor is to follow the lighter coloured rocks/smaller pebbles - if you can’t see the markers, they serve as a good guide. Due to the fog, the view waaaaaas lacking, but it was still incredible. There are stages of this climb where it can be brutal - be prepared to scramble as the path turns to just rocks and pebbles which can be chaotic if wet. On the way down you are pretty much in a squat position so you don’t lose your balance - my legs were like jelly by the end of the hike! Google maps took me to a spot where there was signage that it wasn’t the starting point of the hike and so redirected me to the visitor centre. Parking is £6 for the day at the visitor centre via ticket machines (both coin and card accepted). I recommend it, tick off climbing the highest mountain in the UK!

Dusty Klinect
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockySnow

My wife and I travelled from Ohio, USA to summit Ben Nevis in May of 2019. The locals were NOT enthused to hear us call Ben Nevis "Big Ben" . It is currently July 2020. I remember the parking situation being difficult for us because we had to pay for parking through a machine, but lacked the proper cash/coin to appease the machine. I ended up purchasing "crisps" at a local gas station to break a bill for the machine. Added about 30 minutes. 1. Bring various cash/coin for parking (surely a non-issue for locals). The trail eases up beautifully through some pastures and grazing grounds and you will be crossing some cattle gates and greeting some sheep during the first bit. The rocks that form the steps were awesome, at first, but quickly became annoying and awful. The narrow trail was very crowded at some points and there were a few occasions where we gave way to more ambitious hikers. 2. There is little to no shade. Be prepared for UV exposure. Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen etc The summit had a decent amount of snow at the top but was manageable with a decent pair of boots. 3. The summit was freezing cold with gusting winds. We equipped jackets and hats when we reached the snow as the temperature drops dramatically. Also, be cautious of positioning on the summit. As an American, I'm very used to an excessive amount of signs in parks telling me what I cannot do and why I cannot do it. In Scotland I found myself precariously close to the edge while traversing the snow when the summit plateaus. Our AirBnB host said they have had some fatalities at this location, but I cannot confirm. Just stay aware-- the Scots won't handfeed warnings to you. 4. BRING A BEVERAGE. My wife and I brought a canned beer to the top and it was awesome to look around and share the experience of a drink with travellers from all around the world at the summit. It was probably my favorite part of the excursion and helped refill my faith in the "brotherhood of man". The way down Ben Nevis was awful. I was beaten by the rocky steps for hours. Be sure to readjust your boots before heading down. Wear quality socks, preferably with a liner, and keep on mind that you'll be sliding in your boots as you step the whole way down. I took new boots and wore basic merino socks, but I have resilient feet. My wife's feet didn't fair as well as mine. 5. There is only one place with enough privacy to use the restroom: Poop Rock. You will know it when you see it. If you have business to do this is the place. Pack out with everything you brought to the trail. We finished the trail with a pathetic time. something like an hour and a half longer than anticipated. We have done Colorado's Pike's Peak and thought this would be a cake-walk. Enter with respect and bring supplies for a hearty hike. TL;DR Pros: Clean cut trail Great Trailhead amenities Incredible Summit Cons: Busy and crowded Rocky Steps--brutal on the knees. No Shade No privacy for bathroom stops.

Sandra Skegro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
Hiking

Trip was 9 months ago. Amazing mountain and 360 view. It's was hard and challenging. Must see

Maegan Cloutier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2020
Hiking

Can be a tough climb depending on the weather, even in July be prepared for nasty weather at the top. Beautiful hike though, easy to follow trail

Dan Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2020
HikingMuddyNo shadeRockyScrambleSnow

Incredible hike to the top of the UK! Hiked solo, trail was rough in bits, but easy to follow. Scrambled through snow and scree at summit. Can’t wait to go back again!

Robin Gresham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 2, 2020
Hiking

Hiked Nevis May 2019. Magical. What started as a sunny early Spring day turned into a snowstorm at the summit. Beautiful and very challenging for someone who isn’t a frequent hiker, but the path is set out well. The biggest challenge was the descent on the sleet covered rocks that make up the entire path- it took longer than the climb up. Breathtaking vista part way up (I’m sure the top would’ve been as well had I only been able to see farther than 20 feet...).

Ram Perendi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 15, 2019

we did it on 25th Aug 2019 and its super hot and super rush and we enjoyed being and hiking with more people along with us.

Juliana Nunes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 16, 2019

Amazing trail

Cole Steinberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 30, 2019
HikingIcyRocky

Good hike. Real snowy now, quite cold on top. Recommend good cold weather gear and gloves.

Daniel Claff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2019
HikingRocky

A well maintained track up Ben Nevis- a popular ascent. Cloudy on top with -6C wind chill or so, but a fun hike. On the way down we tacked on a spur across the tableland to look out to the east and up the valley. A fun hike all around, a great climb.

View Daniel's Recording
Jimmy Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2019
Hiking

Sep 24th 2019 realy enjoyed it. not as bad as I thought. weather help travel from ireland .I'll do it again sometime Jimmy

Makayla Holmes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2019
Hiking

Did Ben Nevis a few years ago but would definitely do it again. Amazing waterfall on it and a little suprise at the top

Leslie Melton
HikingMuddyRocky
Neil Zerk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2019
HikingRocky

Amazing hike with incredible views! Will be returning in the new year