West Highland Way: Milngavie to Drymen

West Highland Way: Milngavie to Drymen is a 21.1 kilometer point-to-point trail located near Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 21.1 km Elevation Gain: 531 m Route Type: Point to Point

Long hike on a hot day. Trail was well maintained, short sections on paved secondary roads. Mostly through rolling pasture land and mature woods paths. Great vistas of valleys and hills. Lots of sheep and some cattle. First stage of a 10 day hike. For people that are doing the LEJOG (Land's End to John o'Groats trail), this trail can be connected from "John Muir Way: Strathblane to Kilsyth" on Ballachalairy Yett B821. You can then continue the rest of the West Highland Way until you meet the Great Glen Way.

great, easy, relatively flat beginning to the West Highland Way. Hiking out of Milngavie is easy, on a well maintained path. it doesn't take long for big crowds to stretch out. The part from Gartness on the road is hard on the feet but the Duncan Family stand has a nice place and provides a nice break. If you keep going to Balmaha, you will skip Drymen unless you turn left before heading on the path along nice trimmed edges. Great way to ease into a 96mile hike.

Good conditions, perfectly signposted and no real challenge other than some road walking at the end which isn’t great on your legs and feet if carrying any old injuries with you.

private property

SIC ☔☔

Wonderful two days of walking. Signage is excellent. Lots of wonderful folks along the way. No other Americans yet

Some of the greatest scenery you'll ever see

excellent walk done it several times with military and civilian parties. Great laugh and brilliant site seeing in all weather as long as long as you are kitted out properly.

No one walks 100 miles in the Scottish rain without a reason to do so! I walked it to find myself after a difficult period in my life. So glad that I did. It was wonderful. On my first night I stayed at a fabulous hotel called Ardoch House Hotel. Truly exceptional. It is also a nature retreat offering yoga, reiki, etc. Seriously cool. If I am honest that was the best place that I stayed at over my 6 day/night walk. Great value for money too. If you are walking the WHW then stay here on your first night for some hippy luxury.

great

Best walk ever

Saturday, June 30, 2018

I absolutely loved the west highland way. Scotland is such a beautiful county and this trail shows you many diffrent sides of it. The rain ads to the true Scottish experience, the people I met along the way are great and the views are breathtaking. This hike is perfect for a first time long distance, sometimes a little challenging but overall not too hard!

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Weather: it rained nearly every day, which added “atmosphere” and challenges, but low clouds also blocked many of the mountain views (we saw them on the train ride back) What’s great: 96 miles (we did it in 7 days). You can stay in villages along the way (don’t have to carry a heavy pack). You can also have your extra luggage transported between lodgings. The experience: walking an average of 14+ miles a day is good for the soul. My mind found absolute bliss on the trail - even in heavy rain and wind. Loved that aspect (and am struggling a wee bit being back in cities). The views: the Highlands and Loch Lomand are beautiful. I’d estimate that is about 33% of the trip. Another 33%+, though, is walking across / near pastures / road / train tracks. The remaining 1/3 was in forest or near streams / rivers. So while my mind was able to escape with the rhythm of hiking, I never really felt a wilderness escape. Just adjust your expectations accordingly (ie this is not total wilderness immersion like hut-to-hut trips in New Zealand, Tasmania or other parts of the world). People: the majority were friendly. Never felt unsafe. Mostly Europeans (not many Americans) and quite a few Scots. The Way never felt crowded (except day hikers at Conic Hill). Advice: take your time. Take breaks. Find an easy pace - 14+ miles will wear on you if you pound out the miles. 7 days means you probably have one 20 mile day - I was a bit jealous of the people who took an extra day. Cost: it was pretty reasonable. I used Gemini Walks, who arranged all lodging and luggage transport. I heard only positive reviews of other trip planners as well.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Just completed this in June 2018 over a 10 day period. Some complete this in as little as 4. Overall moderate difficulty. Though some days are more challenging.Highly recommended. See my 10 recordings for a daily record and description for each days hike. Look me up on facebook for a complete photo record of each day. We booked the hike with Macs Adventures who we highly recommend.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Just completed this in May 2018 - used a different app to record it. The official Way is 96 miles but distance can vary depending on where you stay. I started from Drymen (prounounced Dri-men with rolled rrrr) taking a train and bus from Glasgow, skipping the official start in Milngavie (prounouced Mul-guy). Hiked for 7 days - 15.3 miles (Drymen - Rowardennan), 13.8 miles (Rowardennan - Inverarnan), 6.7 miles (Inverarnan - Crainlarch), 14.5 miles (Crainlarch - Bridge of Orchy), 11.3 miles (B of O - White Corries/bus stop to Glencoe), 9.32 miles (White Corries - Kinlochleven), and 16.1 miles ( Kinlochleven - Ft William) for daily mileage, ending in Fort William. If you wild camp and have more time, you have a bit more freedom as to daily mileage. May was glorious (and I was told many times that it was highly unusual to not have any rain for a whole week) - I booked rooms and hostels 6 months in advance and there were limited options so plan ahead. The hike itself is not difficult or technical, but the old military roads and long daily distances can be taxing on feet and knees. All is cured with a pint at the end of the day. Met great folks and fell in love with Scotland. This was my first long distance inn-to-inn hike. If you do have more time, I highly recommend spending a few extra days in Glencoe.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Good

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

This is a good beginner multi day distance hike. It is very wet though so expect to be in the rain a large portion of your time.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Great time! Great people along the trail. Use Macs Adventures and had excellent service.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I had a memorable trip years ago through the West Highlands that took me from Fort William to Loch Lomond by way of the scenic A82. I did however make a several stops to explore small portions of this amazing path on foot, most notably at Glen Coe and Glen Orchy/Bridge of Orchy. This area is what I picture when I envision the Scottish Highlands…a beautiful combination of very rugged mountain peaks with the desolate and expansive Rannoch Moor.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I hiked this trail with a couple of friends in early September 2016. Great trail for people looking for a moderate hike. The first day isn't that interesting because it feels like you are walking through small towns and there isn't much scenery, but it starts to get more and more remote feeling once you get further north. You are always close to towns along the way so you don't have to worry about running out of water or food, and the trail takes most people 6-10 days to finish depending on how far you want to walk each day. Booking for B&Bs fills up fast, so book far in advance! We booked about 3 months out and already many places were booked up. Loch Lomond, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful parts of the hike. You will encounter lots of people so if you are looking for something more remote, this might not be the best trail. This trail can get some heavy foot traffic by people who are not true backpackers, so get ready for some loud day hikers who throw their trash on the trail. I saw lots of Mars Bar wrappers. Other than that, the scenery is very quaint countryside, with many farms and rolling hills. It only rained two days we were on the trail, but I know people have had different weather experiences.