Mount Liamuiga Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saint Paul Capisterre, Saint Paul Capisterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length3.8 miElevation gain2,089 ftRoute typeOut & back
dog friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingForestViewsScramble
Description
Waypoints (0)

You'll be humming the theme song to Jurassic Park as you drag yourself out of that final canopy of trees and Mt Liamuiga's summit crater unfurls out of the mist below. More of a jungle climb than a hike, this exceptional excursion is not for the faint of heart. The muddy and uneven 'trail' is easy to lose, so it is highly recommended that you download your map before heading out on the trail. Be warned, there are numerous areas where you will need to climb steep slopes using the slippery roots of trees as a sort-of makeshift ladder. Once at the top, be sure to turn right at the rim and climb the ladders up to a huge throne-like rock where you can look directly down to the crater lake and volcanic fumaroles.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (84)
Photos (93)
Recordings (67)
Completed (166)
Todd Todd DeBlieck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2020
View Todd's Recording
Maggie Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 12, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

The hike took us about 5 hours round trip, stopping several times! Very steep and a difficult hike, coming down was harder. Muddy and wet with at times a very narrow trail. Best advice was to go early. Lots of cruise ship hikers came later and they take over the trail! Also brings lots of water and snacks. View at top was amazing but a little cloudy.

Rio Gamirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 27, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I’d recommend wearing long sleeves and pants because there’s a lot of spiders webs crossing the trail. The very start of the trail is to the left follow the metal steps and when in doubt look for roots that look like steps. Great hike !

View Rio's Recording
anna kilpatrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The trail was a great hike! Be prepared for climbing up steep hills of rocks and roots. Wear boots or sturdy shoes. If it has rained recently prepare to get a little muddy. The trail is covered by the canopy but it is best to start the hike as early as possible to avoid the heat. I measured about 2.6 miles each way.

David Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 14, 2019
Hiking

Road leading to trail head parking is narrow with no pull off room. Trail is steep in some areas with long or high steps. Some areas require a scramble up steep slopes. Beautiful rain forest. Walk quietly and you may see monkeys in the trees. Although we were turned around on this trip by a thunderstorm (.5 miles from top) we’ve climbed before and the scenery at the top is great.

View David's Recording
Austin Swain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2019
Hiking

Edit: we got halfway up before being turned around by St Kitts Defense Force members. Another tourist had decided to start the hike by himself late the day before and didn’t make it back to his hotel. Turns out he fell off the side of the trail after it got dark. He wasn’t found until the next morning. Disappointing we couldn’t do the full hike but enjoyed what we had done.

View Austin's Recording
Shane Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky

This was amazing and challenging, not for novice or out of shape, you’ll survive but next day will be painful. We were lucky to get a clear view of the volcano this day. About 25 of us on an excursion from cruise, l 19 of us made it all the way. Plan in early to bed when your done as most people will be whipped out afterwards. Enjoy it.

Serena Hawes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

Hard. Amazing. Worth it. Tour guide said it was seven miles round trip. My hubby, myself and our three kids (14,12,9) completed this hike as an excursion while on a cruise.

John Leahy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky

Did it without a guide. Wouldn’t recommend doing it alone. Definitely spots you could get into trouble. Great day of exercise. Can’t see much at summit because of clouds and moisture.

Liam Crotty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
Hiking

I had a great hike. Went by myself. The only car in the parking lot. It's a long, bumpy road to the trailhead parking lot. I did run into one other guy hiking with a guide. Really wet, cloudy, overcast day so no views. The trail is fairly well marked. I only got off the trail once and got back on track. I did a cool little video of the hike here: https://youtu.be/KM3z6DzBRls . Let me know what you think!

Clay Chastain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
Hiking

trail in of itself was beautiful. the slope up wasn't too unbearable and we go to see some monkeys and the view into the volcano crater was beautiful. HOWEVER .. Do not take the rope trail leading down into the crater I REPEAT: DO NOT take the rope trail leading down into the crater I'm not a big man, 160 lbs, my wife waited at the top while I tried to climb down using the ropes. Upon doing so, one of the ropes snapped and I fell/tumbled about 60 feet fracturing my skull and falling unconscious. My sweet and very strong wife managed to climb down and help me back up to the top and support me all the way down to the bottom until she got signal to call 911. I'm still in the hospital (3 days later) with a fractured skull and there is air in my skull which keeps me from flying back home commercially to the US for a few weeks and it's also making me temporarily deaf in my right ear. I would definitely recommend the trail, at least leading up to the rim of the volcano, just don't trust any ropes or other means of security that other hikers have tied up or left there.

melanie rahm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2019
Hiking

This was a pretty advanced hike. Took us about 2 hours in and 1 & 1/2 out. I definitely recommend a guide if you haven’t done this before as there are a couple places you may turn off and get lost (which happened to a lady a few weeks ago while trying to get help for her husband who later passed). The guide was able to keep a steady pace and could tell us how much more to go and what places to be more cautious. Don’t bother with rain gear as this is a rainforest so humidity is high, will likely rain, and you will sweat from the heat anyway. It was a great experience and I’m glad I did it!

Patrick Dunleavy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 25, 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Fifth time up today, definitely not my last. I wouldn’t say this is an extremely difficult hike, started at 8, got back to the car right before 12. I’d recommend getting there between 6 and 8 to beat the heat. It’s very calm for the first third of the hike in, followed by 2/3 straight up. Definitely worth it, and there are great views at the top of you are lucky to have a clear day. It poured the entire time which was refreshing but I got a good 20 minute window at the top to see the caldera. Oh! Someone placed a brand new ladder at the top so that’s awesome.

Devon Kinghorn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 14, 2019
Hiking

Lots of roots make it brutal for being a 5-6 mile hike. But it is gorgeous scenery and worth it.

View Devon's Recording
Dennis Dolby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2019
Hiking

we were on a cruise in 2011 and decided to try this on a whim. We were scheduled to zipline but that excursion got cancelled. We saw a tour guide and asked about hiking and she said how hard of a hike do we want and we said bring it. Because of the small time frame she hooked us up with a tour guide who drove us to and from the volcano from the ship terminal and hiked it with us to ensure we paced fast enough to get up and down in time to get back to cruise ship. If you are not in shape, do not do this trail. It is straight up. I'm in great shape and was definitely worn out by the end. Wait until you get to the top and have to shimmy out on a ledge to see into the caldera...not for the faint of heart. LOL. Would love to do this again.

Jon Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2019

Great hike. My GPS said it was 4.4 miles with the little side hikes to the left and right at the top. The ladder to the right has been replaced and definitely offers the best views. No guide is needed. Saw 3 monkeys about half way down. We took a taxi van from the cruise ship and negotiated $140 round trip for 13 of us. He took us the long way back around the rest of the island to see where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet.

Christian Molnar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 21, 2019
Hiking

Awesome hike. Not too hard in good, dry weather. Steep, roots, rocks. Well maintained.

View Christian's Recording
Mariya Niko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2019
Hiking

Great, challenging hike. As outside guests we parked and started from Belle Mont hotel. Took 1hr 15min up and 1hr down without breaks. We showered at the lovely pool side bathrooms before our resy for dinner at the hotel.

Elena Judet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2019

Beautiful trail, lush vegetation, very abrupt hike, mudy in some places, no need for hiking poles, you will use mainly your hands to grab the threes, roots or stones. amazing views from the top if the weather is clear

Felix van der Vaart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 30, 2018

Beautiful hike, through lush rainforests and full of monkeys. I went with my wife (both in our 20s and ex college athletes) and we were both exhausted by the end. We didnt use a guide and I would say that you dont need one but I wouldn't ever do this hike alone. Plenty of side paths can make it confusing - we deliberated several times on where to go together and if you were to fall, it might be a while before someone were to get you. Halfway up, we felt pretty confident as it was mostly trails and steps. The second half is brutal, tons of rock scrambling among wet and slippery rocks. Views are worth it though. If you've done KokoHead in Hawaii, this is slightly more challenging.

Bobby DeCoste
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2018

Beautiful, but certainly not for beginners. 3 steep hills on the way up and a good stretch of climbing tree roots vertically nearing the top. Takes roughly 3-5 hours based on pace. Hire a guide for the full experience, but not needed 100%. Oneil and Jr know all the plants and animals and really explain everything you're seeing. Like people mentioned it's pretty well marked, but definitely a point that can take you to a hotel instead of where you parked so you could get lost if first time potentially. Bring plenty of water!!! You're going to sweat. One of the most rewarding hikes I've done. Absolutely stunning views from the top. Highly recommend it

John Britts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2018

Awesome hike, no need for a guide, trail well marked. Bring plenty of water and plan for about 4 hours, in and out.