Mount Liamuiga Trail

Mount Liamuiga Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ortons, Saint Paul Capesterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2099 feet

Excellent trail. Pretty well marked, we got off a few times but realized it quickly. Lot of root climbing. Took us 1.5 hours up and 1 down. We didn't get to go down into the crater because it was too wet and slippery. That "trail" is more like rock climbing on a slight incline. I would rate the difficulty a 7.5/10. It is definitely a hike you do not need a guide for. At the top go to the right for the best views on top of the boulders there is a wooden ladder to get to the view. To the left the views are easier to reach but not quite as majestic.

You'll be humming the theme song to Jurassic Park as you clear that final canopy of trees and Mt Liamuiga's summit crater unfurls out of the mist below.
I did this hike solo much to the befuddlement of the few people I encountered on my way up to the trailhead. It was easy to grab a taxi van from Basseterre, as they will drop you right in Newton Ground at the road leading to the trail. Besides sections where I had to climb up using roots as handles, and getting lost for 5 minutes, I thought this was an exceptional excursion. Make sure you turn right at the rim and climb the ladders up to huge throne-like rock where you can look directly down to the crater lake and volcanic fumaroles.

Hiked the Volcano this past week. Not for the feint of heart. Slippery roots and builders throughout the trek. Hiking sticks/trekking poles are a must. Highly recommend as it is such a unique experience.

Excellent hike. Definitely not for those who are not in decent shape. the trail is well marked and you definitely do not need a guide. The hardest part was finding the trail head. it is off the Island Main Road by Newton Ground on the west side of St.Kitts. then a very poor road in to get to the trail head which is just beyond a fence/gate. The hike itself is beautiful but pretty much straight up hill including several areas climbing hand over hand and bouldering in certain spots. Bring food and plenty of water. I'm 50 years old and in pretty good shape. It took me 2.75 hours up and about an hour down.we took a few very brief rests. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time. Enjoy! The view from the top of the volcano crater is well worth the effort.

A challenge, but well-worth it. Lots of climbing, so make sure you are in shape. If you're booking a guide, opt for an agency that provides walking sticks. They are helpful going up, but lifesavers coming down. Descending steep, wet, rocks when you are exhausted is a recipe for disaster without a stick to brace yourself. The views are outstanding. Be prepared for some humidity. Wasn't much for me, but I grew up in Oklahoma. My California-born wife felt like she could hardly breathe. Bugs are no issue. We didn't apply spray, and didn't receive a single bite. Great trek for the adventurous!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

This is the toughest, most rewarding hike I've completed so far. It includes some precarious balancing and calculated hopping across ravines. The bottom is easy but once you get to the top there is some serious scrambling involved. It can be muddy at times and near the bottom the trail can get covered with mangoes falling from the trees. Once you get to the crater rim (you're climbing a volcano, by the way), you can turn around and go back, or go farther up, which involves climbing using some sketchy old ropes and get a great view of the Caribbean Sea, or take a really tough hike into the crater itself. I went farther up but did not go into the crater. I have heard that you really have to be careful to watch for open pits in the crater.

This was a gorgeous hike up a volcano through a cloud forest and I'm so glad I did it.