Czarny Staw pod Rysami via Morskie Oko is a 19.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bukowina Tatrzańska, Małopolskie, Poland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

19.8 km
802 m

There are multiple buses that run the road between Zakopane and the entrance of the Tatras National Park. Simply head to the bus station or ask around if there is a nearby bus stop where the mini buses stop to hop on. Hop on and enjoy the ride and views, it takes about 20-30min. Once you arrive you pay the small fare (I think it was 10 zloty?). For the way back I heard there are buses until sundown. If you missed them, like I did, you could always try and hitch a ride back.

I came to Poland to Zakopane in the High Tatras of the Carpathians specifically to hike the trail to Morskie Oko, despite the amount of snow I knew there would be, and depending on the conditions at the time try and reach the lake that overlooks Morskie Oko, Czarny Staw Pod. Generally throughout, the trail follows a road which is used to take tourists up via horse pushed carriages although there are various points where you can follow a side trail which is very much worth it. Beautiful views of the High Tatra mountains throughout but the real gem is at Morskie Oko, a surreal view of the lake and mountains which looks like something out of Game of Thrones. Once here I decided to push to reach Czarny Staw and crossed the frozen lake down the middle and soon found how ardeous reaching the top would be: Snow up to my knees, sometimes to my waist, and a considerable steepness that forced me to scramble most of the way up. Despite almost giving up about 8 times on the way up, I managed to reach the top and was greeted with a whiteout where I couldn't even see the lake directly in front of me, not to mention the mountain peaks behind it. The view of Morskie Oko was incredibly nice but I couldn't relax too long as night was fast approaching and I had to make my way back to the start again. I ended up walking the great majority of the way back alone in utter silence and darkness, a reward in itself.

I must note that I did this trail in December, with considerable snow. This meant the trail didn't have much people and had whole kilometers to myself, day and at night. That said, this trail is heavily occupied in summer, just google some pictures and you will see. Despite this, with the immense beauty of the area I am already looking forward to coming back one summer and tackling one of the multi day treks that wind through the mountains and peak some of them. I can at least highly recommend coming here in winter if you are a fan of snow hiking.