Salkantay Trek

Salkantay Trek is a 75.6 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

75.6 km
3169 m
Point to Point

historic site

A wonderful alternative to the classic 'Inca Trail', which rises higher, offers superb views of the Salkantay and is much less frequented.

A great alternative to the Inca Trail - you get to see high mountains with snow, the jungle, the country... it's really nice! However there's a lot more climbing down than up so your knees may hurt! And the afternoon of the second day is really muddy, so boots are recommended.

One of the best treks I've ever done

Absolutely amazing

This is a gorgeous trek with lots of great mountain landscapes. Here is a trip report I wrote describing my experience on the Salkantay Trek. https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/machu-picchu-salkantay-trek/

We hiked with salkantay trekking. Awesome experience. They take you to Llactapaka so you get a second hard summit. See my review on TripAdvisor under salkantay trekking. 4 reasons.

Once in..I wish.. everyone's lifetime

moderate to difficult. scenery is out of this world. day 2 is most difficult but not impossible.

The best thing I've ever done. The views are out of this world. Harder than I could have imagined but I would do it all again, best experience

just completed the 4 day, 3 night trek, distance in km was 11, 26 and 26 for each day respectively to get to Machu Pichu, beautiful scenery, mountains, glaciers, cloud forests, jungle, make sure you are acclimated to altitude snd are in excellent shape