Salkantay Trek

Salkantay Trek is a 47 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

historic site

A wonderful alternative to the classic 'Inca Trail', which rises higher, offers superb views of the Salkantay and is much less frequented.

I did this trek solo with all my own gear and food /water starting on Mollepata. See my profile for a day-by-day breakdown. The All Trails map is outdated in spots, as I found, and it starts from Soraypampa vs Mollepata. It was 5 days, 4 nights and incredible. Email me if you have any questions - bobbyboombeck at gmail dot com.

We did this as part of a guided tour through Mountain Lodges of Peru (highly recommend) in June 2016. I struggle with altitude but spent two days in Cusco beforehand and took Diamox and was able to manage it fine. The last little bit was tough, above 14,000 feet, but definitely worth it. I did not take hiking poles and was fine except at the very highest part because altitude makes me dizzy. If I did it again I would probably take poles. Pack lots of layers and water.

We did this as a 3 day hike, beginning in Sorayampa. Don’t underestimate the effects of the altitude near the pass- it’s extremely hard to breathe- we ended up taking a horse for about a mile or so until the top of the pass. After that, the trail gradually descends and the scenery is beautiful. The campsites were nice- our guide took good care of us! We ended in Agua Caliente, and bussed to Machu Picchu.
We chose this trail instead of the original Inca Trail, as there are less people.

We went independently backpacking. Amazing nature & landscapes. You pass through 3 different ecozones. The directions are easy to followed as we we downloaded the offline map from all trails. The hike is hard; altitude plays a huge role in its difficultly. Better to acclimatize for 3 days before hitting the trail. You need to carry meals at least for 3 days as in some camping areas you might not find food. At first two nights it gets really cold. It’s worth all the tiredness.

Good

We chose Valencia Travel and they were excellent. The hike itself was my first major hike and it was something I will never forget!

A great alternative to the Inca Trail - you get to see high mountains with snow, the jungle, the country... it's really nice! However there's a lot more climbing down than up so your knees may hurt! And the afternoon of the second day is really muddy, so boots are recommended.

One of the best treks I've ever done

Absolutely amazing

This is a gorgeous trek with lots of great mountain landscapes. Here is a trip report I wrote describing my experience on the Salkantay Trek. https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/machu-picchu-salkantay-trek/

We hiked with salkantay trekking. Awesome experience. They take you to Llactapaka so you get a second hard summit. See my review on TripAdvisor under salkantay trekking. 4 reasons.

Once in..I wish.. everyone's lifetime

moderate to difficult. scenery is out of this world. day 2 is most difficult but not impossible.

The best thing I've ever done. The views are out of this world. Harder than I could have imagined but I would do it all again, best experience

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

just completed the 4 day, 3 night trek, distance in km was 11, 26 and 26 for each day respectively to get to Machu Pichu, beautiful scenery, mountains, glaciers, cloud forests, jungle, make sure you are acclimated to altitude snd are in excellent shape

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Best trek ever. Drink plenty of cocoa tea!!!