Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is a 33.0 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ollantaytambo, Cusco, Peru that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until September.

33 km
2,877 m
Point to Point

historic site

Fun great time. Guides and porters were great.

This is an amazing trip. The scenery, the history and culture were life changing.
I was on a 10-day portered trip with four days spent on the trail and 1 full day at Machu Picchu; however, I started my trip with a nausea issue that prevented me from being able to eat the entire trip. Imagine in four days I burned 35000 calories during the hike and was only able to ingest about 3000 calories of soup. We couldn’t identify the issue until 8 months later when my appendix ruptured. Turns out I had an infection from my appendix for probably over a year (I was having nausea issues in my hikes all that summer) without having elevated white blood cell count. Anyway, as miserable as I was it still didn’t overshadow the majesty of the Inca trail and Machu Picchu. This trip should be on every adventures bucket list.

I loved hiking this trail. I did it with a group over four days. It could be less but we were working with some altitude difficulties. Go if you can!

I cannot say enough about this hike/camping experience! The hike itself was not too difficult if you are already a hiker and all the history, story telling, and unbelievable food made it even more comfortable and exciting. The steps get a little daunting at times but nothing you cannot do with a little training. I live at a high elevation (5,300 ft) and have hiked up to 13,000 ft so the altitude was not really felt which made it easier. Machu Picchu itself is very crowded but many of the other sites along the way were essentially empty. The flora/fauna is incredible. You see everything from rain forest to desert! I recommend good shoes, rain gear, walking poles for uphill, and a water reservoir in your pack. I found I drink more water and don't have to stop every time I get thirsty. This is a life changing hike and one I highly recommend!

day two was hard as i feared

An incredible experience, the trail, the views, the guides, the porters, the chefs and the food!! The great friends made during the hike. And of course Machu Picchu!!!

Fantastic trek! It’s much more difficult because of the altitude but so worth the effort. Parts were quite scary because the steps were so steep up or down but when you have no other choice, you make it through.

Great comments in here, and all true. My wife and I did a private trip with Apamayu Expeditions. They were first class. The trek was difficult at times and tough on the knees, but conditioning ahead of time, time at altitude in Cusco before setting off, and any advance stair work you can do will pay off in spades.

As for the crowds at Machu Picchu, our guide was brilliant. We took off on day four later than all the big groups who were in a rush to get to sun gate. By getting there we’ll after the morning bus groups had arrived, we were able to avoid the big bus tour groups as they had already moved down. The bus folks in the morning have to leave before the afternoon group is my understanding. We had the Inka bridge mostly to ourselves.

Hope this helps someone. Definitely worth doing, good luck.

Great experience. Challenging with the high altitude and steps. We did a 4 day/3 night trek with Alpaca Expeditions.

On our way

The trail was well worth the effort with ancient sites and fabulous flora and some fauna. We found the trail loaded with wild orchids. The ancient sites along the trail were spectacular. I do agree with other hikers that Machu Picchu itself is completely overrun with people. Once you arrive at the end of your 3 day hike, the crowds do overwhelm you. Don't let the crowds deter you. Machu Picchu is a breathtaking site and was worth the visit.

Completed the Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu July 18-21! Incredible journey to say the least! This trail is typically dry in July however we had 2/4 days of our trek soaking wet with rain and a bit of snow at the top of dead woman’s pass. This trek was very tough due to the altitude and ups and downs I would recommend being in good cardiovascular shape for this one, but it was so worth it to see all of the Inca ruins spread throughout the entire hike. Much like everyone else’s reviews the end destination of Machu Picchu was super crowded and overwhelming with people after spending a few days on the hike, still worth seeing but the trail was more enjoyable in my opinion. My family and I traveled with the company G Adventures and we would highly recommend them as guides for this trek as they were knowledgeable, prepared, and very enjoyable!

The hiking trail to Machu Picchu was breathtaking. The Inca sites along the way was a true highlight the the trip. Unfortunately, Machu Picchu itself is completely overrun with people bused in. Everyone in our hiking group agreed the trail leading to Machu Picchu was much better than the end of the destination.

I did the 4 day trek the beginning of January 2018. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. The trek (especially Dead Women’s Pass) was better than Machu Picchu. I can’t imagine just taking the train up to Machu Picchu, as it completely bypasses the experience of the pilgrimage.

Definitely do your research about how difficult the trail and altitude are. Be sure to acclimate for a few days prior. It is extremely difficult, but this is part of the reason it is so rewarding. It is a very spiritual and magical place.

be one with the pachamama up in the clouds and be forever changed.

Challenging hike but very rewarding. Many many steep steps especially on day 2,3 and 4. Climbed 2 mountains on day 2. Intense and non-stop nature with fantastic views!

Do it! It’s challenging in few parts for sure, but manageable if you’re in decent shape. I recommend following others’ advice by spending a day or two in Cusco before the hike to acclimate to the altitude. Since the city is a few thousand feet higher than the trail, it will be easier to breath on the hike. Be prepared for a lot of stairs (yes, actual stone steps) - it’s much different on the knees than hiking up/down a slopped incline. You’ll never forget the moment when you finally arrive at the Sungate and look down at Machu Picchu in all it’s glory.

Awesome trail! Challenging at parts (especially day two). Make sure your wearing hiking shoes that are broken in. Lots of steps so it’s hard on your knees (up and down).
I did the classic 4 day trek into Machu Picchu with Alpaca Expeditions (have to hire a guide) and it was the best experience hiking ever!

No words to describe this experience. I did the classic 4 day trek and it was absolutely incredible. Truly is an experience of a lifetime!

An absolutely beautiful and fun but challenging hike. Did the 4 day classic Inca Trail. First day was nice and easy with rolling hills and not to much climbing. The second day was the real test as we ascended the highest point on the trail at dead woman’s pass, roughly 13,800 feet. Then a pretty steep downhill on stairs that really worked the knees. Beautiful camp site on night number 2. At altitude it’s a bit more chilly. Day 3 we trekked to the second highest peak at roughly 13,100 feet. Then lots of up and down hills and more stairs. The knees were very sore after. Camp on night 3 was not very glamorous since it was close to the check point to hike to the sun gate. 4th day hike to sun gate was pretty easy and ended at Machu Picchu. Weather was great during the day and cool at night with few clouds and no rain. Trail was dry.

Experience of a life time

This is actually 26 miles long and on the second day after Dead Woman’s Pass you will want to quit but you summon the strength and energy to keep going somehow! This trek is a 100% positive life change. I broke down and sobbed when I made it to the Sun Gate because I was so proud of myself. You will be stopped in your tracks multiple times to have your breath taken away (literally and figuratively.) the end goal is obviously Machu Picchu, but once you’re there you’re going to already miss the trek and those beautiful Andes Mountains and will long for them. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend training for it and getting prescription altitude sickness meds. We did the trek in September which is the best month to do it from all the research we did and experiencing it. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON WHAT TO PACK!

One of the best experiences you can have. Beautiful hike, beautiful country, and awesome history to learn. Did the trail in early March, which is the tail end of the rainy season, rain every morning but would clear up soon after the sun came up. Weather is good this time of year for hiking but because of the season there is often clouds/fog obscuring some views. The accent up to the 1st mountain pass and decent on the back side is tough but that is the only real challanging part. I would recommend sticks to lighten the load on your knees, even if you don't have bad knees taking care of them is the best way to keep the hobby going for many years. I can not recommend this trail enough. Extreme Turbulancia was a great tour group and our guide Roberth was awesome.

Most amazing life experience! I did the trail in March 2018. It was the most rewarding and humbling experience.

The views were out of this world! Brace yourself for this challenge, but remember YOU CAN DO IT! If you worry about your knees, you may want a knee brace and hiking poles for this one.

A must-do hike. I did this hike about 10 years ago. I was unable to complete it after one day of hiking due to the altitude. If you are like I was (coming from sea level), I would strongly recommend spending some time in Cusco to acclimate. Do some hikes in the surrounding area (also beautiful). I saw people who really looked bad being carried out on the backs of Peruvian porters. At least I was able to walk back down and take a train to Agua Calente. Disappointed but there's always another day. Also be sure you communicate with your outfitter. I could tell I was struggling with the altitude even in Cusco but my outfitter just brushed it off.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Saturday, December 30, 2017

The trek from km 82 to Machu Picchu is longer than what’s listed in the description here. The actual distance is 26 miles. We booked a four-day Trek with Alpaca Expeditions and were very happy with our choice. They offered amazing service for a reasonable price.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Amazing trip and even better than the pictures, I highly recommend to any hiker that wants a great hike. The Altitude is what kicked our butts.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Just returned from the most rewarding experience in my life. My wife and I did the trail for our 60th birthday, day two was challenging, but reaching the top of Dead Woman Pass and being one with Pacha Mama was well worth it.