Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Loop

Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Loop is a 4.2 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

4.2 km
471 m

historic site

The end of the fourth day of the traditional Inca Trail, the Machu Picchu tour. Tourists arriving by the Inca Trail should leave the park to check in and then re-enter through the front door. Here begins the tour around the complex, passing through the main points of interest: Intihuatana, The Temple of Three Windows, The Plaza Sagrada, Wayna Picchu. The climb is quite complicated as the road is narrow and very steep to the top of the "Young Mountain" or Wayna Picchu. The descent is not less difficult, and is a matter of concentration. It must be one of the places less visited by tourists, but it is worth it, because it was by this way that Hiram Bingman arrived at Machu Picchu. Through the gigantic gorge can still be observed the remnants of that road, which was damaged by recent earthquakes.

Just returned from Machu Picchu. The trails around there are difficult for sure and the trek up Huayna Picchu was steep and difficult. I live in a town whose elevation is around 500, so the trail was made that much more difficult to me since I am not used to the altitude. The trail at some points was so steep that I had to use my hands to climb up the rocks in front of me. I could barely breath, my legs were burning, and my pack was too heavy, but it was the best hike I've EVER done hands down. The reward of the top was totally worth it and it will be in my heart forever.
p.s. it felt like the walk through Machu Picchu and the hike up to the top of Huayna Picchu was more...much more than 2 miles...

I've never done a hike as magical as this one.

Great place to visit

Steep and strenuous hike from start to finish, but well worth the climb to the majestic views of one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Steep, gets your heart pumping, but not at all technical. Basically a hard stair master work-out rewarded with an AMAZING view

The best views of Macchu Picchu are from Huayna Picchu in my opinion. However, this was an extremely challenging hike especially immediately after the Inca trail. Think climbing stairs for about an hour that are very narrow and steep. Worth it for the incredible views

Extremely challenging straight up, sometimes the steps are so tiny you have to walk sideways. Incredible views!! Can't recommend it enough if you can handle it

Straight up until you reach a little rest area, then tiny stairs take you to the very top! Tremendous views of Macchupicchu!