Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Loop

Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Loop is a 4.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

4 km
430 m

historic site

The end of the fourth day of the traditional Inca Trail, the Machu Picchu tour. Tourists arriving by the Inca Trail should leave the park to check in and then re-enter through the front door. Here begins the tour around the complex, passing through the main points of interest: Intihuatana, The Temple of Three Windows, The Plaza Sagrada, Wayna Picchu. The climb is quite complicated as the road is narrow and very steep to the top of the "Young Mountain" or Wayna Picchu. The descent is not less difficult, and is a matter of concentration. It must be one of the places less visited by tourists, but it is worth it, because it was by this way that Hiram Bingman arrived at Machu Picchu. Through the gigantic gorge can still be observed the remnants of that road, which was damaged by recent earthquakes.

Amazing trail. Can’t wait to visit again.

A Must Do if you can .. no words or pictures can ever capture the visit.

My only regret from my trip to Machu Picchu is that I didn't do the Inca trail. But it was with a class trip, so I didn't have a choice. You need a special permit to hike the mountain that specifies what time you're allowed to enter. I think our group had the earliest time (8a) and we tried to hike pretty fast which ended up being worth it because for at least 10 minutes at the peak there wasn't anybody else. Once other tourists started showing up, we had to climb over people and try not to fall off. Spending the day at Machu Picchu is like spending 8 hours on a stairmaster but where most of the stairs are only deep enough for the balls of your feet (unless you go sideways). Amazing view up Huayna Picchu, but make sure you've done a LOT of lunges before you go!

Hiked this trek on day 4 of hiking the Inca Trail two weeks ago. Worth every vertical stair!!! The views are absolutely amazing and the hike itself was hard but extremely rewarding! A natural high! Do it if you can, it won't disappoint!

We hiked from the hidroelectrica station to Cusco and took the bus up to the ruins.There's really nothing else like it on earth.

crazy steep steps, portions are vertical climbs. guides said they were called the "gringo killers." worth it.

Bad Ass

This hike was AMAZING. I recommend spending the extra Soles to continue on to Huayna Picchu or Waynapicchu (the higher mountain). Waynapicchu isn’t for the faint of heart, however. If you have problems with altitude, heights, or climbing narrow stairs, this probably isn’t the one for you. The views are spectacular.

Finished the four-day Inca Trail and capped it off with a hike up Huayna Picchu. The trail is mostly stairs and via ferrata (metal cables bolted into the rock that you can use to pull yourself up). It’s very steep, and the average time it takes to complete it is two hours.

Just returned from Machu Picchu. The trails around there are difficult for sure and the trek up Huayna Picchu was steep and difficult. I live in a town whose elevation is around 500, so the trail was made that much more difficult to me since I am not used to the altitude. The trail at some points was so steep that I had to use my hands to climb up the rocks in front of me. I could barely breath, my legs were burning, and my pack was too heavy, but it was the best hike I've EVER done hands down. The reward of the top was totally worth it and it will be in my heart forever.
p.s. it felt like the walk through Machu Picchu and the hike up to the top of Huayna Picchu was more...much more than 2 miles...

I've never done a hike as magical as this one.

Great place to visit

Steep and strenuous hike from start to finish, but well worth the climb to the majestic views of one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Steep, gets your heart pumping, but not at all technical. Basically a hard stair master work-out rewarded with an AMAZING view

Thursday, June 08, 2017

The best views of Macchu Picchu are from Huayna Picchu in my opinion. However, this was an extremely challenging hike especially immediately after the Inca trail. Think climbing stairs for about an hour that are very narrow and steep. Worth it for the incredible views

Monday, May 29, 2017

Extremely challenging straight up, sometimes the steps are so tiny you have to walk sideways. Incredible views!! Can't recommend it enough if you can handle it

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Straight up until you reach a little rest area, then tiny stairs take you to the very top! Tremendous views of Macchupicchu!