Inca Trail is a 24.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Ollantaytambo, Cusco, Peru that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length24.3 miElevation gain10,170 ftRoute typePoint to point
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsWalkingForestRiverViews
Description
Waypoints (31)

The Inca Trail runs for approximately 26 miles (42 km) through the Peruvian countryside, mountains, subtropical jungles, and amazing archeological sites. It is believed to be the route of pilgrimage to Machu Picchu used by the Incas of the 15th century. Rich flora and fauna native to Peru line the path making this trek a popular destination for people all over the world. This section is important because it lines the path to Machu Picchu (the Incan historic sanctuary). This is a 4-day trek. For a list of segments that make up the full Inca Trail see here: https://www.alltrails.com/lists/inca-trail--6

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (111)
Photos (1,285)
Recordings (63)
Completed (481)
Rae Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2021
Hiking

Amazing trek, the trek was more amazing that the final destination! Altitude can be hard so few days before in Cusco best. Chewing Coca leaves > altitude pills (personally). Loved the weather variation, the views are what life is all about, the lamas are cute .

Scott M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2021
HikingGreat!

Difficult but amazing hike. Prepare for the elevation (take medicine, stay in Cusco beforehand at least a few days, etc). Use hiking poles. Practice hiking with a backpack on. My shoulders hurt really bad by the second last day. Overall, it was an unforgettable experience and I highly recommend it.

Hansi Karu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 13, 2021
Kevin Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 4, 2021
HikingGreat!

I did it as part of my bucket list in 2019 when I was 64. Had planned for the physical but was taken back by the mental strain; figuring out where and how to step; especially on the second day. Great experience, fantastic views. Worth the pain!

Tim Marr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
HikingGreat!

I did this in 2014. One of the greatest experiences you will ever have. I’d suggest a few months of training/walking beforehand to make the trek a lot more enjoyable, especially Day 2. Hiking poles are good for the downhills as are a good pair of shoes with grip! A great reward at the end being the sun gate and then Machu Picchu!

Girl Hikes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingGreat!

This was a difficult hike but the best experience I ever had. Amazing views everywhere, remember to stop and look up and around your surroundings. A lot of stairs so beware, going uphill was more difficult for me but I took my time, downhill was much easier. Thankful I had trail runners, a lot lighter than hiking boots. I can’t wait to fo back to Peru to discover more what this beautiful country has to offer.

Curtis Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Once in a lifetime experience!

Claudia Avalos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

One is the hardest hikes of my life but so rewarding!

Javier Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Truly a life changing trek and my all time fave. Select a good outfitter/guide and do your research long before hand. Use trekking poles. Would not have made it otherwise. Make sure your prepared for the high altitude.

Tanya Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2020
Hiking

Day one was meh. Day two was brutal as you ascend to Dead Woman’s Pass. Day 3 and 4 are bad ass. Use trekking poles!

Molly McGuire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2020
Hiking

This 4 day hike was the most enlightening hike ever! The final day was so magical! Day 3 was 360 views of the mountains! Day 2 is the most for elevation gain! Having walking sticks really helped on day 3 with all the steps down!

Nicole Paul
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2020
Hiking

I did this trail a few years ago with a tour company called GAdventures in December. It was breathtaking. I never hiked prior to this trial and I did find it challenging due to the elevation however the views made it worth it.

Sebastian Roca
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
Hiking

Did this 2 years ago and it was simply breathtaking. I will be back for sure, the views and the people you meet are worth the trip. I struggled due to fear of highs but take it slow and you’ll be fine.

trissi lemons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2020
Hiking

Such a cool experience. I did this a few years back with my husband & sons. I don't think you have to be incredibly physically fit to do this hike; pace is slow and mileage per day is low. Loved our guides and all the history lessons along the way. Highly recommend.

Jake Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2020
HikingFeeMuddyRocky

We hiked the Inca Trail towards the end of January, right before it closes for maintenance. Even with all of the rain, this is a very scenic trail with a lot of stops along the way. Definitely worth the reward at the end!

Emma Falbo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 16, 2020
Hiking

The best. An experience I’ll never forget.

Richard Ruch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 30, 2020
Hiking

My friend and I did this 4 day hike as part of our 2 week adventure. We went with (Alpaca Expeditions) and it was our first time using porters and they made it very comfortable and amazing meals. This trip is rugged but the altitude makes it difficult if you’re not ready for it. The views, historical sites and many animals we experienced are difficult to put into words. Our last day we awoke at 2:45 AM to be first in line at the park gate which opens at 5:00. Then it’s a quick trek to the su gate to await the most amazing site of the trip. The early wake up and the ( Gringo Killer) steps you to the gate are well worth it. I could go on and on. Just go!

Vanessa Ní Fhearghaíl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
Hiking

It was nearly underwhelming getting to the sungate as there was so much cloud and fog so we got no views of the ancient city. But however the four days of breathtaking views and ancient ruins were definitely worth it. Dead woman’s pass will remain with me forever. A challenging climb but worth every step.

Jenn Christians
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 17, 2020
Hiking

4 day hike with a train ride at the end back down. I recommend stopping. See where you truly are. Nothing like it in the world. A lot of stairs so I would recommend some leg conditioning before hand.

GT W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 7, 2020
Hiking

We did the 4-day trekking tour with a guide. This is one of the most memorable hikes of my life. Epic is every sense of the word. Getting to see Machu Picchu as the sun rises and the clouds lift off the mountain is a one-in-a-lifetime experience that is worth all the effort.

William Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 20, 2020
Hiking

Amazing! Unfortunately we couldn't enter Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate due to rock slides near the gate and at one of the camp grounds. As a result the government closed the trail and we tool the porters route down and followed the rail tracks into Aguas Clientes. Aside from this the experience was incredible and the trail is beautiful!

Zachary Gulka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 7, 2019
Hiking

Phenomenal experience! I would highly recommend trekking poles for days 3 and 4. Descending is quite steep and rigorous at times. Highest point of altitude is just over 4200m on day 2 (Dead Woman’s Pass). So not that bad, plus you get heaps of time to acclimatize. Chew coca leaves and bring at least 1.5 litres of water with you, per day. Overall, I found this trek to be quite moderate. The best part was by far relationships formed between the group and the journey together. I found that reaching Machu Picchu was bittersweet. It was like an amusement park filled with tourists and their Gucci handbags and smartphones, lined up for hours to get the, “iconic photo.” If all you want is that picture, then there’s a train that will take you to and from Machu Picchu in a matter of hours. But, if you’re looking for something far more valuable and memorable, then please trek the Inca Trail, it’ll blow you away!

John Schaaf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 3, 2019
Hiking

Did this for our honeymoon (Nov 2018) as it was a lifelong dream. Definitely didn’t disappoint. While the exhaustion starts to set in through the days, our group was invigorated at reaching Machu Picchu and essentially ran from the park entrance to the sun gate. Again, amazing experience. Highly recommend it.

Dan Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 29, 2019
Hiking

Incredible experience! Cool places to camp and explore along the way to the final destination.

Wendy Liu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 28, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyNo shadeRockyScramble

tips: pls be respectful to porters on the trail. share the trail with others. bring baby wipes. bathrooms are not ideal. day 3 is the longest but most beautiful. day 2 is very difficult incline with less shade.

View Wendy's Recording