Besseggen Ridge

Besseggen Ridge is a 14.5 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lom, Oppland, Norway that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 14.5 km Elevation Gain: 1,073 m Route Type: Point to Point

Take a boat from Gjendesheim to Memurubu in order to make the a one way hike with epic lake view the entire way. Can also be done as a multi day backpacking trip. There is no parking at the ferry dock where the hike begins so park in the lot about a half mile up the road and there is a shuttle from there.

I was a bit shocked by just how much snow has already fallen at the higher elevations. Make sure to follow the red "T" markers as the trail was easily hidden by the snow and these are your only makers to show the way. AMAZING views and worth the effort and scrambling for them. I did this hike with a full hikers backpack to spend the night after the climb just past Memrubu...I DO NOT recommend hiking with such a weight. The rock scramble down was sketchy.

This was an awesome trail with amazing views and I highly recommend it. However, I have some cautions to make your journey more enjoyable. Having spent a lot of time reading about the trail, I was still surprised by the amount of time it took for me and my 17 and 24 year old daughters to complete the hike from Gjendesheim to Memerubu. We are all in decent shape and were well equipped. We all had fairly light backpacks (15-20 pounds) as we were planning to take the boat from Memerubu to Gjende and stay overnight. Based upon my research I had planned on 5-7 hours for the trip. However, even with minimal stops and maybe 15 minutes for lunch and photos at the top, it took us 8 hours even though we were rushing to make the 3:45 ferry to Gjende. We ended up missing the boat and luckily made the 4:45 ferry back to Gjendesheim just in time. To truly take the time to enjoy the views, have a relaxing lunch, take a few side trails and take photos, I think 9 hours would have been ideal. I'm glad we didn't try my original plan to hike the whole distance through to Gjende in one day! By the time we got to Memerubu we were spent. I recommend leaving early in the morning (6:30 am) if you plan to make the boat to Gjende. Also, the trail is fairly mild except for the steep ascent until you get about 1/2 way through. Then the trail has a number of fairly long, strenuous, and a bit nerve racking descents over large boulders. Another reason to build in a bit more time.

One of the absolute best hikes in Norway

I highly recommend this hike which took us 7h. The view of the lakes is beautiful. This walk is difficult because a part over 2 km is more of climbing than walking proper (not ideal for those with vertigo or for young children).

Breathtaking hike. We only went half way and would like to do the other half and then go back with the boat, but we was short on time and had no tickets for the boat (at that time there was only limited tickets), so if you plan to go with the boat back make sure to book your tickets from home. Another good tip; you can take a buss for free from the parking lot to the start of the trail. Really worth a visit. A lot of people

My wife and I accompanied by our adult son completed this hike today’. Because we are not familiar with the area we hired a guide Orjean from Borealis company. This worked well for us although the trail is well marked and fairly well travelled. There were several times his assistance was valuable. There are a few things that can make life easier for the hike: First there is no parking at the ferry dock where the hike begins so park in the lot about a half mile up the road and there is a shuttle Second— I’d strongly suggest that you take the ferry to start the hike from the far end of the lake so that the most difficult up hill and fairly exposed part of the climb is up not down hill. This hike really is best done in hiking boots and warm layered clothes and with plenty of water and something to eat along the way.. I don’t drink a lot on the trail but went though more than 2 liters . The wind was intense at the ridge lines. The day was pretty good weather with some fresh snow from the night and morning before we began but we let others go first and they stamped out the trail snow. There were some steep rocky climbs which were fairly exposed but even though exposed heights can make me uncomfortable I had no problems. This was a spectacularly beautiful hike —- probably the most spectacular I’ve even been on. Not recommended for kids but there were a couple on the hike with parents who were clearly experienced hikers and physically fit. The trail took us 9 hours to complete

Was not prepared for this to be as difficult as it was, but still doable in Nike sneakers! Took us a long time so make sure to bring a snack :) amazing views!

Very difficult trail especially on the large uphill/downhill portion of the largest mountain. Not a hike for children but amazing views and a ton of fun.

Gorgeous views from this trail. It was a strenuous hike with a bit of rock scramble, but it was well worth it!!

best hike we did in Norway

2 words : hard and amazing