Besseggen is a 9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lom, Innlandet, Norway that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until September.

Length9.0 miElevation gain3,520 ftRoute typePoint to point
HikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingLakeRiverViewsWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

Ta en båt fra Gjendesheim til Memurubu for å ta en enveis tur med episk utsikt over innsjøen hele veien. Kan også gjøres som en multi-dagers backpacking tur. Det er ingen parkering ved fergekaien der turen begynner, så parker mye omtrent en halv mil oppover veien, og det går en skyttelbuss derfra. Vakker fottur med fantastisk natur. Det er en god steinete klatring, men vil ikke prøve det i snø eller sterk vind. Godt turutstyr er et must. Stien er godt merket og mange andre turgåere.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (46)
Photos (240)
Activities (38)
Completed (121)
Madeleine Dalsklev
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
HikingGreat!

Amazing hike alongside various forms of terrain (grass, moss, stone, snow). Beautiful glacial lakes on both sides of the hike, one looks turquoise in colour. We were lucky with the weather so it was stunning to walk. The “egg” part was quite steep and felt a bit daunting at times (great exposure therapy for fear of heights). Took the boat on day 1 to Memurubu and stayed the night and hiked on day 2. Used 10 hours due to multiple tea and food breaks.

Carri Lockhart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Beautiful hike. No protection from the elements so prepare for all weather. There is a good rocky scramble but would not want to attempt it in snow or strong wind. Good hiking gear is a must. The trail is well marked and plenty of other hikers.

View Carri's activity
Emma Miertschin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingFeeNo shadeRockyScramble

My favorite hike so far in Norway for sure. Very challenging, though, mainly due to length. I would say all of the elevation gain/loss is quite doable, but we were very tired after passing the big lake and the descent at the end is hard on your knees. Took us 6 hours with 4-5 10 min breaks and many stops for pictures. We were going max 3.5 km/h when walking. I’m not sure how it could take much longer than 7 hours unless you are stopping for hours at a time or got lost.

Ben Dubuisson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2019
HikingRockySnow
Filip Galiza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

This is an amazing hike that is full of breathtaking scenery. Go on a clear day as this type of views you do not want to miss. Hiking poles are a big plus to save your knees a bit. I will definitely do this again.

Andy Gradl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2019
Hiking

foggy. only view was near Gjendebåten. we took the ferry. on a foggy day it might be best to just start at Gjendebåten and turn around when it gets foggy

View Andy's activity
Laura Campion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2019
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

I was a bit shocked by just how much snow has already fallen at the higher elevations. Make sure to follow the red "T" markers as the trail was easily hidden by the snow and these are your only makers to show the way. AMAZING views and worth the effort and scrambling for them. I did this hike with a full hikers backpack to spend the night after the climb just past Memrubu...I DO NOT recommend hiking with such a weight. The rock scramble down was sketchy.

kim rygiel weiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2019
HikingScramble
Robert Cooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2019
HikingRocky

This was an awesome trail with amazing views and I highly recommend it. However, I have some cautions to make your journey more enjoyable. Having spent a lot of time reading about the trail, I was still surprised by the amount of time it took for me and my 17 and 24 year old daughters to complete the hike from Gjendesheim to Memerubu. We are all in decent shape and were well equipped. We all had fairly light backpacks (15-20 pounds) as we were planning to take the boat from Memerubu to Gjende and stay overnight. Based upon my research I had planned on 5-7 hours for the trip. However, even with minimal stops and maybe 15 minutes for lunch and photos at the top, it took us 8 hours even though we were rushing to make the 3:45 ferry to Gjende. We ended up missing the boat and luckily made the 4:45 ferry back to Gjendesheim just in time. To truly take the time to enjoy the views, have a relaxing lunch, take a few side trails and take photos, I think 9 hours would have been ideal. I'm glad we didn't try my original plan to hike the whole distance through to Gjende in one day! By the time we got to Memerubu we were spent. I recommend leaving early in the morning (6:30 am) if you plan to make the boat to Gjende. Also, the trail is fairly mild except for the steep ascent until you get about 1/2 way through. Then the trail has a number of fairly long, strenuous, and a bit nerve racking descents over large boulders. Another reason to build in a bit more time.

Fredrik Uhr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2019
Hiking

One of the absolute best hikes in Norway

Isabelle Chone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
HikingRockyScramble

Je recommande vivement cette randonnée qui nous a pris 7h. La vue sur les lacs est magnifique. Cette balade est difficile car une partie sur 2 km est plus de l’escalade que de la marche à proprement parlé (pas idéal pour ceux qui ont le vertige ou pour de jeunes enfants).

Erling User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2019

Besseggen

View Erling's activity
Eric Weiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2019
Ken Gross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockyScrambleSnow

My wife and I accompanied by our adult son completed this hike today’. Because we are not familiar with the area we hired a guide Orjean from Borealis company. This worked well for us although the trail is well marked and fairly well travelled. There were several times his assistance was valuable. There are a few things that can make life easier for the hike: First there is no parking at the ferry dock where the hike begins so park in the lot about a half mile up the road and there is a shuttle Second— I’d strongly suggest that you take the ferry to start the hike from the far end of the lake so that the most difficult up hill and fairly exposed part of the climb is up not down hill. This hike really is best done in hiking boots and warm layered clothes and with plenty of water and something to eat along the way.. I don’t drink a lot on the trail but went though more than 2 liters . The wind was intense at the ridge lines. The day was pretty good weather with some fresh snow from the night and morning before we began but we let others go first and they stamped out the trail snow. There were some steep rocky climbs which were fairly exposed but even though exposed heights can make me uncomfortable I had no problems. This was a spectacularly beautiful hike —- probably the most spectacular I’ve even been on. Not recommended for kids but there were a couple on the hike with parents who were clearly experienced hikers and physically fit. The trail took us 9 hours to complete

Anna Johansson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2019
HikingRocky

Was not prepared for this to be as difficult as it was, but still doable in Nike sneakers! Took us a long time so make sure to bring a snack :) amazing views!

Steven Kovanda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2019
Hiking

Very difficult trail especially on the large uphill/downhill portion of the largest mountain. Not a hike for children but amazing views and a ton of fun.

Kimberly Hayward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2019
HikingScramble

Gorgeous views from this trail. It was a strenuous hike with a bit of rock scramble, but it was well worth it!!

Zach Fleming
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2019

best hike we did in Norway