Volcan Maderas is a 15.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jinotega, Rivas, Nicaragua that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

15.3 km
1,330 m

One half of Ometepe's twin volcanoes, Maderas is deceptively high and steep.

Amazing experience even though my wife and I didn’t make it to the top. We were totally unprepared. We started late in the morning and didn’t have the proper hiking boots or gear.

Camel pack, hiking boots and hiking stick could be very helpful. I was caring a 30 pound back pack with Gatorade, water and cameras. Was wearing walking shoes.

We still had the time of our lives enjoyed the jungle, monkeys and those insects that made a very loud noise. I think they are called chicharas.

The trail is awesome! Steep in some areas, rocky, tree roots, tree trunks, and muddy but all manageable, you can either go under over or around obstacles.

We will be returning to conquer Maderas.!

Much more difficult than the alltrails review. Definitely worth the challenge but don't be fooled, it's hard as hell. Mostly mud and monkey climbing so just be prepared, the way you go up is the same way back down. People with knee trouble might struggle.

Superbe rando, mais à mon avis c’est plus dans la catégorie hard que moderate. Un guide est vivement recommandé ne serait-ce que pour voir les animaux. La vue au premier view point est époustouflante. Malheureusement pour nous la suite était dans le brouillard.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

There are two ways to get to top, the one less traveled is much harder and require ropes for last leg of climb. Enjoyed the challenge.