Mount Pirongia via Tirohanga and Mahaukura Track

hard 20 reviews

Mount Pirongia via Tirohanga and Mahaukura Track is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,169 feet Route Type: Loop

Very intense trail if you’re a beginner hiker. It can take 8 hours to complete this loop. Absolutely stunning views with a breathtaking experience. https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/waikato/places/pirongia-forest-park/things-to-do/pirongia-summit-via-mahaukura-and-tirohanga-tracks/

fee

Very intense trail if you’re just beginning like I am! Didn’t read the description properly and I underestimated the climb. It took me 8 amazing hours to the summit starting from The Mahaukura Track. Absolutely stunning views with a breathtaking experience. Nga mihi nui ki a koutou me ngā Atua

Challenging and amazing hike with a good view. Gets steep towards the end and has chains to help you climb at difficult spots.

Don’t judge a hike by its distance! It’s only 13km, but your body will feel like it’s done a LOT more at the end of this circuit. Great day walk. Bring plenty of water!

beautifull hike deffinatly worth it!

This was a very hard and long one day tramp. We were very tired and sore at the end but proud of our accomplishment. We didn't go to the hut but had lunch at the summit lookout before heading back down. Parts are in the sun and no shade and there are some parts that are muddy. Its quite steep in places w chains going up/down, a bit of rock scrambling required. I think it took us 8-9hours. Views at the top are stunning 360 and well worth it. Also some pretty amazing views along the way.

I highly recommend this trail to anyone looking for a muddy, nature loving challenge whoop! Got my dog a permit so he could come with, just beware you need to be confident with climbing rocks with your dog etc there are chains to hold on to though :) Loved it!! Best to stay at the hut so your not rushing I reckon :) Hope you enjoy it as much as Sabes and I did! Water was fine to drink at hut Be prepared with safety stuff i.e map, locator beacon etc just incase! Completed weekend 31-1 sept

Hard. Only had time for a very quick break before heading back to Grey Rd carpark. 7hrs & 25 minutes return. Tree roots for African.

Sat Jan 26 2019

So Challenging and amazing at same time.....till the rupenu look out u will be fine and drama starts after that

Sat Jan 12 2019

Great area with variety of terrain. Good challenging incline with many roots and rocks but most enjoyable. View from the top is breathtaking. Take lots of water. Well worth it. All in the canopy of the forest so lots of shade.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Pretty muddy and challenging but well worth it! Done as a longer day tramp which was fun but next time I think we'll stay at the top.

Tue Nov 20 2018

amazing views. this was very challenging but we'll worth it. I even got a dog permit and took my buddies up

Mon Oct 15 2018

Amazing views and very challenging hike. First 2 miles are rather boring but then it picks up. I did the loop in just under 6 hours with what I would consider a blistering pace. There is a nice Hut at the top that I wish I would have prepared to stay at instead of pushing to get back. (Be prepared for muddy areas)

Sat Mar 24 2018