Karioi Mountain Loop is a 42.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Raglan, Waikato, New Zealand that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking.

Distance: 42.0 km Elevation Gain: 997 m Route Type: Loop

beach

There are a few errors in the description of this trail or else the map is wrong. I mountain biked the route shown on the map - mixture of sealed and unsealed roads and steep in parts. Not for road cyclists and a tough ++ mountain bike. Walkable but again shared roads so cars ++ closer to Raglan. Took me 5.5 hrs with a stop for lunch of 20 mins and multiple pictures taken. Hard work. Garmin had it at est 26 miles and burned 1400 kcals average speed around 7mph! I am wondering if perhaps there was a trail elsewhere but again I followed the map as is shown on here. beautiful views and to be honest I would do it again but give myself longer. I would say mountain bike or walk and the walk would be LONG.

HARD - Not what I was really expecting. There was a lot of climbing involved. The track is very narrow. From the car park on Whaanga Road it took my 5 hours to get to the top. I did stop for about 20mins at the first look out and 3.5 hours to get from the top back to my car. I’ve put some photos in of the climbing and the view I got. I’m bloody glad I finished walk but am very tired and sore