Routeburn Track to Key Summit and View of Lake Marian

Routeburn Track to Key Summit and View of Lake Marian is a 8.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Taramea Bay, Southland Region, New Zealand that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

8.7 km
467 m

Pick the best weather day and get up there! It offers completely stunning 360 deg views and lovely green healthy vegetation the whole way up.

I hiked this trek on a cloudy, rainy day in late-January. The Milford Sound area had seen only one sunny day in two months, so I wasn't alone in my wet experience. The path is mostly a steady ascent of switchbacks amongst lush green, with a couple waterfalls near the base, and ending at a guided nature walk. There's a sign at the summit with a photo of the surrounding view, which gave me a glimpse at what I could have been seeing behind the clouds. Looks amazing; wish I could have seen it live! Nice trek, but do know that you'll be disappointed in a (lack of) vista reward if the weather isn't in your favor.

Loved this hike when we did it about three years ago in the spring. There are two lakes at the top that perfectly reflected the snow-capped peaks around Key Summit.