Roy's Peak Track is a 15.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wanaka, Otago, New Zealand that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from January until October.

Distance: 15.6 km Elevation Gain: 1,251 m Route Type: Out & Back

Three and a half hours up to the best view in Lake Wanaka. A challenging walk, but worth the effort! The area is closed October 1 - November 10 every year for lambing season. Although the trail is wide with no steps/technical difficulties, it is very steep, giving it a hard rating.

the hike is superb and it's a great challenge! look at the weather before you do it because when it rains the road becomes very slippery because of the mud.

As for the views, they are spectacular. As for the hiking experience, as others have said, it’s the same road type path; not much diversity. Because of that, i would recommend only ever doing this hike to see the sunrise at the top. As of yesterday, the path has an incredible amount of sheep and horse dung in many stretches, and paired with the rain and mud conditions, and well you know, leave it to your imagination. My wife and i would rate this as a 3.5 with the views at the very top being the very worthwhile reward at the end. In the dark, the trail is still frosted over so the mud is hard and doesn’t come into play on the way up. Be prepared for cold conditions after the viewpoint for photos; many turn around at that point, but the last 1.5k to the top has better views. It does get icy/snowy, so make sure to wear appropriate shoes. As of July 15, you didn’t need crampons, and I would think in even the worst conditions if you are careful, you won’t need them. Took us 5 hours(total return), but we weren’t trying to set any speed records and timed it to get to the peak 5 minutes before sunrise so we wouldn’t freeze. If you aren’t a runner or at a high level of cardio fitness, expect the hike to take 6+.

Great hike. Hit the track at 5am aiming for sunrise (8:14am) but was up top just after 7 am. Could have got another half hour sleep. Bit icy on the last bit but no worries - just took really slow. Clouded over so came down for first light which was golden reds, yellows and some greens. Spectacular. Allow 4-4.5 hours if you keep moving (includes 30 mins to admire the “grand show” and something to eat). A bit tough to get going at first but once you’re settled in it’s all good. Stronger headlamp would be good - no moonlight today.

Yup, I can verify this one is ruthlessly straight up, except for that one patch that leveled out a bit... just kidding. I did it on my honeymoon nine months ago, and we’re still married, so there’s that! It was actually one of our favorites. Second only to Gertrude’s saddle for the hikes we did on South Island.

Absolutely loved this hike! Great views the entire way up (and down). Took us about 4ish hours. Would do again and again!

good climb straight up but worth it for the views at the top

Excellent hike in general, but best when you plan correctly. Start your ascent about 2 hours 30 minutes before sunrise. Like others have said, this hike is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge. The steepest part of the ascent is the first 30 minutes of the hike, so it's best not to be looking at it in the sun. Just keep trudging up. You should reach the Instagram spot (where most people go for photos and turn around) right about sunrise, and the views from there are spectacular. It's about another 30~45 minutes to the top from there, and from the top you can see the back end of the valley and the entirety of the lake. Don't stop at the photo point, you haven't conquered the mountain lest you place your hands on the pole at the summit. It's worth the extra struggle to reach the top. Enjoy the views, by then the sun will be up enough to light up the surrounding area. Then all that's left is to hobble down as best you can, wondering how the hell you got up this ridiculous mountain in the first place. To note, if it rains, there's no protection and all of the runoff goes onto the trail. It can also get super windy at the summit, so stick to the trail best you can. Also, you might see some sheep along the way.

Too many people. The car park has had 30+ vehicles every time that I have driven past. There is no shortage of challenging hikes in this area and the views are just as fantastic. This one is definitely overrated. Count me out

I actually feel bad giving this hike only a 4 instead of a 5...but hear me out. What everyone is saying is true: the views are awesome, they really are. But this hike is as much of a mental challenge as a physical challenge. The climb is relentless. I think in the entire 4.5 mile ascent, there is only about 1/3 of a mile of level terrain...it’s a constant climb which is usually steep. Pace yourself and remember that even when you reach the lookout, if you’re going to summit...you still have another 30 minutes to go. Now as to why a 4 instead of 5: You keep the same view the entire way so it’s not much developing as you go up...so it can kind of get boring. Again, the view when you arrive is amazing amazing. But just comparing some other hikes I’ve done that I’ve rated as a perfect 5, I feel like this one falls slightly below those. Amazing experience though!

Is an amazing track which I would like to recommend to everyone. Choose a beautiful day, bring some water and food, then enjoy the great view of the landscape on track.

Very beautiful hike, same view until the top but worth it! But very hard you need to be prepared mentally!!

Honestly the hike sucked, it was just an uphill grind the whole time with zero breaks, and overall pretty boring while walking. We started at 4 AM to catch the sunrise — so glad we did! Got up to the top in 3 hours and we are in moderate fitness, there were less than 20 people at the peak but we saw so many more on the way down. Views at the peak are SPECTACULAR. we got extremely lucky with the weather, clear day, but the wind at the top was horribly cold. Couldn’t really bear it, but we watched the sun rise at the top and it was gorgeous — saw perfect views of mt. Aspiring, the surrounding snow capped peaks, and Lake Wanaka. It was chilly at the bottom when we started but pretty warm when we ended, but I was in 4 layers at the peak. Definitely worth the effort, but I would HIGHLY recommend the sunrise hike to avoid the crowds and the sunrise is gorgeous over the mountains. A lot of people started up the hike that I knew wouldn’t last — sorry hun, but your designer boots and jeggings aren’t a good idea, regardless of how cute you want your famous Instagram shot to be.

A difficult track for me as it is literally all uphill going to the top, plus no shades. However, amazing view at the peak, all worth it.

One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever done but very difficult. It’s an incline the entire way. Major calf killer. I went at 3 in the morning and was surprised at how many others were up at the same time but definitely worth seeing sunrise. It gets very cold at the top and I’m from MN in the States so that’s saying something—make sure to bring warm gear.

Really nice hike. Not so challenging because the path is very clear but for those who are not use to hike it can be hard sometimes. It took me 1h45 to go up and 1 hour to go down but I was running a little for descending. Really nice 360° view at the top. I started at 8am and I was alone at the top. I recommend to start early because there are a lot of tourists. Probably one of the most popular hike.

Nice views on top (way better that at the "Instagram" lookout) but way to crowded. We started at 8:00AM and it was ok but it was a highway on the way down. The path is technically very easy. Might be challenging for people not used to hiking though as it goes up a lot.

Ill be going 11th May 2019, i cannot wait to go. Literally all the videos and photos ive seen, cant wait to create my own memories ❤️

Probably one of my favorite hikes ever. Beautiful view of the entire valley and luckily we went on a clear day, which made it that much more incredible at the peak. It was sleep but by no means impossible— our total walking time was around 3.5 hours. Definitely worth it 100%

recorded Roy's Peak Track

private property

This is one of the hardest day hikes my husband and I have done and I’d consider ourselves reasonably fit (for Americans). 10 miles doesn’t seem like much until you realize how steep the climb is. It took about 3.5 hours up and 2 hours down, with plenty of time to take lots of photos. Don’t forget sunscreen and $2 entrance fee per person. Not only were the views insanely amazing but the sheep chilling along the trail were so cute and really made the hike. Some people stop at the first major viewpoint because they’re too tired, but the view at the top is the best!

private property

We did in the morning 3am. It was amazing but cold

Beautiful views the entire way up on a nice day. Forgot to record my way back down this was up only.

Beautiful track, amazing Instagram view at the viewpoint. 1h15 to go at the viewpoint, and 20 minutes more for the summit. 1h15 to go down.

Amazing views!! Worth the hard walk up but rewarding. I only went up 2.5k which took 30mins. The view was outstanding. Sore legs once I returned to the bottom.

Definitely a challenging hike with a great deal of switchbacks the whole way. The view at the top is definitely worth the climb. The first Roys point was packed with photo takers but if you go a little further you’ll be rewarded with a similar better scenic picture spot.

A long and steep ascent but worth the views not for the faint hearted! The first half of the ascent felt steeper than the second half. We completed it in 5hours but only went up to the viewpoint rather than the extra 30 mins to the summit as we were knackered! There was an orderly queue at the viewpoint for photos with everyone helping each other out and was lovely chatting to people.