Learn more

Lake Marian Track is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glenorchy, Otago, New Zealand that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,381 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail! Beautiful view of the lake on the mountain. Make sure to follow the well marked trail at the beginning. If it’s rained recently be sure to have proper boots, it’ll get muddy real quick. https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/fiordland/places/fiordland-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/lake-marian-track/

bridge out

I arrive at around 11:00 am and there was only one other car in the lot. The footbridge was out at roughly 1km in, but you can easily get buy along the side of the river. You just have to go over the caution tape put up. The trail is terrifically well marked with orange markers, look out for them. I could barely see the lake at the top for all the fog, but I wanted to get out even despite the rain.

bridge out

We weren’t able to hike too much of this trail due to a torrential rain storm. We did hike far enough to see the rapids, which looked awesome in the rain!

What an absolute amazing hike up to this alpine lake. There were a few construction zones going on in areas with bridges and boardwalks but we managed to be able to accomplish this magnificent view of a hike. If you want a gradual climb up to a million dollar view. This is it. Go do this hike and then go do a cruise in Milford Sound. What a great day.

great track to amazing lake

Super randonné avec un terrain un peu technique et beaucoup de charme. Le lac est vraiment incroyable ! Terminé en 2h30, en profitant 30min au lac.

Great trail! Beautiful view of the lake on the mountain. Make sure to follow the well marked trail at the beginning. If it’s rained recently be sure to have proper boots cuz it’ll get muddy real quick! Took about the standard 3 hours to get there and back!

We hiked the day after rain and there were some significantly muddy spots, but nothing you couldn’t make your way through. On a clear or mostly clear day (today being the latter) the views are amazing — a beautiful glacial lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. If you’re debating whether or not to add it to your itinerary, definitely do.

one of the best hikes on the south island so far. it was more climbing over rocks than hiking which made it super interesting. took us about 1,5h to go up and the view was absolutely fantastic! you should definitely check that one out

I have no experience hiking. Went on a sunny day where it had not rained the day before. Very enjoyable hike lots of rocks and tree roots which kind of acted like stairs so it was less tiring. Need to watch where you are walking but not lose sight of markers. Definitely recommend going on a sunny day. Once you reach the lake it is spectacular would not give this one a miss

To be honest - I didn’t enjoy this hike too much. The first 10 or so minutes along the river are beautiful, but after that it is MUDDY, with lots of slippery rocks...I am normally a faster hiker but this took me 3.5 hours roundtrip because I was just trying not to injure myself lol. There were a lot of other people, too (parking lot was full). The lake was nice enough but during a wet time of year, I’d pick a different hike.

flooded

With all the recent rain / flooding in NZ, this trail I’m afraid was impassable without higher water boots. Upon coming to the 3rd makeshift river the water was 5-6” high and I was unable to pass in my boots to continue going. The parts I did see were a beautiful trail, but with all the rain it was a quite dangerous trail. Only made it about 20 minutes past the end of the cascades before the larger flooded out area.

Great walk and very well signposted with a breathtaking view at the top. Good equipment and shoes a must. Would 100% reccomend to any decent hiker

One of the best track I’ve done in NZ

Great fun hike with my sister. I would recommend it if you are fit, and looking for some challenge! This trial will need hands as well. Suggested to wear hiking boots, as you might get very dirty/wet shoes when return!

We did this with a toddler in a hiking carrier so didn’t make it all the way to the hanging valley because towards the end it became too precarious in the wet weather. If we weren’t so busy looking at everything around us we wouldn’t have ended up lost and off track! But overall, if you follow the markers it’s easy to navigate! Beautiful walk even in the rain. The waterfalls along the way are beautiful. I would recommend only experienced hikers attempt this one with a child on their back, as it is incredibly uneven and steep in some places. You will be climbing up and down tree roots and through some scrub.

awesome hike. 2 hours to lake and 1 hour back.