Isthmus Peak Track is a 15.9 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wanaka, Otago, New Zealand that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from January until November.

Distance: 15.9 km Elevation Gain: 1,133 m Route Type: Out & Back

All tracks are annually closed for fawning between November 20 - December 20th.

private property

Absolutely amazing views from the bottom to the top! We did it with a toddler in a hiking carrier and found it particularly difficult once we hit the ice...yes, there’s ice, and a lot of it towards the peak! It does get very slippery and I even sat down and slid down part of the descent because it was safer than walking! I’d recommend taking poles and to have some hiking/trekking experience behind you. It gets icy cold at the top and this made it painful for our almost 2 year old daughter so we quickly turned back to warm her up, but it’s definitely achievable (albeit hard) with a small child and well worth the effort.

Awesome trail all the way around. Beautiful views all the way up of one side of the isthmus and a spectacular view of the other side from the top! Seriously, just stunning views. Had a decent amount of people but never felt crowded. 2 parking lots left us plenty of room to find a spot for a big ‘ol camper van.

private property

This trail would be one of the best places for the sunrise around Wanaka and Hawea :)) Although I was too late to get the sunrise from the top, I had a wonderful one on the way to summit since most of the area is opened for its stunning scenery. It took me approximately 4.5 hours for all the way excluding break and lunch time. About 2.5 hours to get to the top if you just keep going. In my case, I spread additional half-hour for taking pictures of sunrise, deer??, fluffy sheep and of course lakes and mountains. And 2 hours to get back. So it's better plan to start hiking 3 hours before the sunrise time, if you want to catch it from the summit. There are some muddy points by the melting frost or small streams. So I would suggest you to wear water resistance/proof hiking shoes. Or do hike in the early morning. Then the ground could be still firm enough to step on. At last, due to the quite steep trail, a pair of trekking pole would be very helpful if you have one!! I really liked this hiking. I would love to try it again.

beautiful views all the way down. the stars were incredible on the way up for sunrise. even saw a few shooting stars! would highly recommend as it wasn't crowded and had incredible views at the top

it's not a hard trail it's especially for the landscapes ;) cheers

private property

From the road the trail is narrow with few steep parts, although here is a spot or two that’s quite steep and rocky. The trail does pass through private property, which is fine as long as you stick to the trail: be prepared to walk over a couple fences. The rest of the trail is wide and steep all the way up the mountain with beautiful views over the lake all the way up. The top has incredible 360° views of the two lakes. Absolutely recommend!! In terms of how much scenery you get, this is definitely one of the best hikes around.

Beautiful hike. Great views the whole way up, heaps of deer and sheep to photograph too. Took me 1hr 45mins to climb going pretty hard, 1hr 15mins to come back down. This is jogging speed so add a bit if you're walking. Chilly at the top so take a windproof jacket!

Amazing hike! Tough at moments, but sooo worth it at the top. 3 h up and 2 h down, but we carried quite heavy backpacks. Good to bring lots of water tho!

It's hard going up and not that easy coming down, but as everyone else says, the views all the way up are great and the views at the top are the best I have ever seen. Even just the drive from Wanaka to the trailhead along Lake Hawea is worth it. Didn't see any deer, but plenty of sheep (just like on the hike to Roy's Peak, and maybe all hikes in New Zealand where there is any grass at all).

Pretty neat view for sunset. Great views on the way up but the track itself is unexciting.

Great tough hike... no adventurous climbing needed just gradual steep accent most of the way... It’s really it’s just about the summit! Amazing 360 views at the top!

Amazing walk! Very steep but not too long. Beautiful view all the time, not to much traffic. 2h up and 1h45 down

Done this trail last year. It’s a tough climb but the view from the top is worth every step. Take plenty of water, especially if it’s a hot day as there is none available on the trail.

Recommend at least 2 liters of water and light sweater or jacket for at the top as it gets chilly in the wind. Offers great views of Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea.

Views can’t be beat. One of the best hikes out there - don’t miss it.

Nice hike with some pretty steep parts. i was happy to have my hiking pole with me. Nice views on beautifull days. Bring enough water.

very easy way, if it is difficult then Muller hut is extremely hard. it is long and sloping but nothing hard. 2h30 for the climb. magnificent view

A beautiful climb for a magnificent view!

Was going to slay this peak today but the trail is closed right now. No public access from Nov 20 to Dec 20 due to fawning (deer)

Did this hike as the other famous one was closed for lambing. I'm so glad I did as there was some variation to the walk itself and not just plain uphill. I found the first 4km uphill the hardest. Rewarded with stunning panoramic views! Came down at 4pm and only walked past 2 other walkers.

Great views. The track is a farm/access vehicle track for the majority of the route. Took me just under 2 hours to the summit, pushing hard, and about 90 minutes back down.

epic views steep but good change from I hike back home. absolutely phenomenal panoramic views atop. king of the mountain for the evening as I had the place to myself.

The views on this track would hands down be the best I have seen in NZ so far.

This felt like a never-ending up up up. My plan was to take a short, relaxed walk about halfway up. But it was so marvelous, I had to keep going. Made it up and back in 3.5 hrs (jogging most of the way down). However, all I had to carry were my poles and light jacket. Water would have been a plus, but not essential. Only passed 5 people the whole time, all of varying fitness. YOU can do this! So very worth it.

Difficult but insanely worth it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The wide open lake/mtn views are magnificent, just tried to soak in every moment. It's a long steep slog but worth it and not crowded. There were a few wild chamois deer in one of the mtn valleys, keep your eyes open.