Roy's Peak Track

Roy's Peak Track is a 15.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wanaka, Otago Region, New Zealand that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

15.6 km
1251 m

Three and a half hours up to the best view in Lake Wanaka. A challenging walk, but worth the effort!

I hiked this trail last week with two friends. I work out 4-5 times a week, but I’m 38, overweight, and not exactly in shape. Also, I haven’t been hiking since last fall because of winter (I’m from the northern hemisphere). So, judging from some of the reviews and the fact that this is 4.85 mile uphill track, I wasn’t sure how far I’d get. We started a little before 4am with the goal of reaching the summit by sunrise. The moon was bright and the stars were brilliant. I took my time, stopping often to catch my breath. I reached the first lookout a few minutes after 7am- just in time to catch the first rays of the sun as it came over the eastern mountain. The view is unbelievable. The other two had made it in less time. We stayed there for awhile, then headed on up to the actual summit. The phenomenal views make every inch of the climb worthwhile! That 4.85 mile downhill track is hard on the knees and toes! Good footwear is a must. I can’t imagine making that climb in heat and sunlight. The darkness made it easier since I couldn’t see how far I still had to go. This was definitely a highlight of my NZ trip!

I hiked this trail last week with two friends. I work out 4-5 times a week, but I’m 38, overweight, and not exactly in shape. Also, I haven’t been hiking since last fall because of winter (I’m from the northern hemisphere). So, judging from some of the reviews and the fact that this is 4.85 mile uphill track, I wasn’t sure how far I’d get. We started a little before 4am with the goal of reaching the summit by sunrise. The moon was bright and the stars were brilliant. I took my time, stopping often to catch my breath. I reached the first lookout a few minutes after 7am- just in time to catch the first rays of the sun as it came over the eastern mountain. The view is unbelievable. The other two had made it in less time. We stayed there for awhile, then headed on up to the actual summit. The phenomenal views make every inch of the climb worthwhile! That 4.85 mile downhill track is hard on the knees and toes! Good footwear is a must. I can’t imagine making that climb in heat and sunlight. The darkness made it easier since I couldn’t see how far I still had to go. ;) This was definitely a highlight of my NZ trip!

Why does AllTrails show as a "Moderate" hike? This was very hard - endless uphill, many, many steep hills. There is no shade so you have to carry enough water and sunscreen is the must. When I went there it was very windy at the top and cold I was so glad I carried my warm jacket. The views from the trail were unbelievably spectacular.

So I guess I'm the first Debby downer that didn't love this trail. The view at the top is spectacular (it's a 5star view, really beautiful) especially with the glacier in the distance, but going up and coming down is in full sunlight with the same (beautiful but unchanging) scenery for hours of grueling uphill track endlessly switching back and forth. There aren't any rocks to climb over or anything to make it more fun. Just steep uphill walking for hours. The track is more like a dirt road with its width. Maybe I'm being too harsh because of the amazing trails we've done in the north and south islands but this one I would not do again, nor would I honestly recommend it. Just FYI We did 2hrs 25 mins to the top, and 1hr 25 to get down. We are fit but don't hike super often.

I’m not super fit and I did the hike up in 2 hours and 20 min with a 10kg camera bag on my back. Totally worth it. Amazing views and great sunset.

Like others we really loved this hike. It was pretty much a steep hike from the start with pretty amazing views all the way up. Bring sunscreen and a decent amount of water if it’s warm. We over-prepared on clothing as the temps were supposed to be in the teens but it felt much warmer so we quickly shed layers and were fine.

It took us 4.5 hours round trip and 3 plus a little to the top. We jogged a bit on the way down which is why we beat the average. Our legs were pretty sore the next day as we haven’t been doing a lot of distance hiking recently.

Wow! What an amazing experience, we hiked the track in time for sunrise yesterday, the track was well mapped and easy to navigate with a head torch, we carried on the extra 17km of the skyline track, (keep going after Roy's peak) Mt alpha, is higher and more stunning fyi.... The skyline track was great up until the last 8-10km of decent of farming land so we thought upon reflection we would have had better terrain and views if we'd just turned back after 15km or so.... Great day out though

Positive: nice view around you.
Negative: busy trail

One of my top 5 trails - start before sunrise to beat the heat in Spring/Summer. Sunrise is worth it - we started at 330am and were at the top by 545am to view sunrise.

Best hike I've ever done so far and it is all for the view. I have a tattoo of this peak it's so special.

This trail is tough: Straight up, No shade, No portable water, no respite but the view makes it worth it. It is one of my favorite views in all the world.

Great view

Exposed trail with no shade! We started late afternoon and the heat was deadly but still beautiful and worth it!

Only did a small portion of the hike but we were able to quickly get to a decent height to oversee the landscape and take beautiful pictures.

recorded NZ 2