Routeburn Track

Routeburn Track is a 32.8 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Paradise, Otago Region, New Zealand that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

32.8 km
2019 m
Point to Point

New Zealand's second most popular Great Walk. A moderately difficult high-mountain traverse that links Fiordland and Mount Aspiring national parks. Usually a two to three day trip - popular in summer and almost impassable during winter.

I spent 10 years of my life guiding people on the Routeburn. If there is a 3 day trail that covers more beautiful and varied terrain anywhere in the world, I've yet to find it, and I've looked. Put the Routeburn on your bucket list. If you can only do two things on your visit to New Zealand, make this one of them.

My fav hike!! The huts are great and the scenery is to die for. Will def back to do this one. I started in reverse- Key summit to QT and really enjoyed it in this direction. I recommend poles. Very Rocky in some parts. Did in three days.

What an incredible backpacking experience! We got lucky - didn't rain the entire time we were there! No need to spend more money on the huts; campsites were great and well-maintained. The hike seems to go through a ton of different ecosystems, from rainforest to alpine, which is awesome. The views are breathtaking. Would definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking to backpack in New Zealand.

The trail is well marked and more mentally than physically challenging. My brother and I weren't able to get accommodations at any of the earlier huts so we did it in two days, split into 28km and 5km with the added summit. It was surprisingly less miserable than I expected. We departed the parking lot at 8:00 and reached Howden hut by 17:30, then left the next morning at 7:00 to see Key Summit before reaching the Divide at 9:00. Plenty of time to spare (and get eaten by sandflies) before catching the 10:10 bus into Te Anau. Despite rain, sleet, fog and wind, the views were incredible. I was also impressed with the hut system. Ours was warm with a wood burning stove, had nice facilities about 3m from the hut, and the mattress was surprisingly comfortable!

Monday, January 04, 2016