Routeburn Track

Routeburn Track is a 32.0 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Paradise, Otago Region, New Zealand that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

32 km
1,635 m
Point to Point

New Zealand's second most popular Great Walk. A moderately difficult high-mountain traverse that links Fiordland and Mount Aspiring national parks. Usually a two to three day trip - popular in summer and almost impassable during winter.

Absolutely stunning vistas, we were incredibly lucky with the weather - 3 bluebird days to enjoy incredible scenery. A good challenging hike

Ran this track with dad in 1 day it was awesome :) Gotta love enjoying gods creation and the freshest air every

Magnificent. Beautiful rain forest, bridge crossings, waterfalls. Unfortunately snow closed the pass the night before so we couldn't complete the full track but we hope to come back and finish it off next year.

Great views. Fair bit of exposure after Harris Saddle. Faced unusually heavy rain fall, hail and snow while camping in mid April 2018. Otherwise enjoyable.

My favorite hiking memory. So gorgeous!

Absolutely love the Routeburn... I’ve done it twice with my two daughters (11 & 13) so many highlights.

Most amazing hike I've ever done. The views are spectacular but be prepared for LOTS of rain and very technical/rough terrain. This is definitely not a hike for beginners and day 2 is rough. That being said, it's the most amazing trek I've ever done in my life and I can't wait to do another Great Walk in New Zealand.

I was fortunate to hike this trail on a semester abroad to NZ. Amazing trail, some of the best views I’ve ever had.

A fantastic, but challenging one day 25km hike from Routeburn to Harris Saddle and back. Conical Hill is a must, the views were incredible. Even got to see Milford Sound.

should be on every hikers must do list.

I spent 10 years of my life guiding people on the Routeburn. If there is a 3 day trail that covers more beautiful and varied terrain anywhere in the world, I've yet to find it, and I've looked. Put the Routeburn on your bucket list. If you can only do two things on your visit to New Zealand, make this one of them.

My fav hike!! The huts are great and the scenery is to die for. Will def back to do this one. I started in reverse- Key summit to QT and really enjoyed it in this direction. I recommend poles. Very Rocky in some parts. Did in three days.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

What an incredible backpacking experience! We got lucky - didn't rain the entire time we were there! No need to spend more money on the huts; campsites were great and well-maintained. The hike seems to go through a ton of different ecosystems, from rainforest to alpine, which is awesome. The views are breathtaking. Would definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking to backpack in New Zealand.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

The trail is well marked and more mentally than physically challenging. My brother and I weren't able to get accommodations at any of the earlier huts so we did it in two days, split into 28km and 5km with the added summit. It was surprisingly less miserable than I expected. We departed the parking lot at 8:00 and reached Howden hut by 17:30, then left the next morning at 7:00 to see Key Summit before reaching the Divide at 9:00. Plenty of time to spare (and get eaten by sandflies) before catching the 10:10 bus into Te Anau. Despite rain, sleet, fog and wind, the views were incredible. I was also impressed with the hut system. Ours was warm with a wood burning stove, had nice facilities about 3m from the hut, and the mattress was surprisingly comfortable!

Tuesday, August 01, 2017