Ben Lommond Track

Ben Lommond Track is a 13.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Queenstown, Otago Region, New Zealand that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

13.5 km
1242 m

Amazing views that keep getting better and better as you go! Definitely challenging but more than worth it. Also my advice is to skip the Tiki Trail and take the gondola. I didn't feel the Tiki added anything worthwhile to the hike, plus you'll probably wind up taking the gondola back down either way.

The name of the track is misspelled on here. it's Ben Lomond.

Tough hike. I started from tiki trail and didn’t ride the gondola up. Absolutely gorgeous views at the summit. We had to wait a little bit for a huge cloud to lift but when it did it was wonderful. Very well marked and easy to follow!

An incredibly challenging hike that boasts views for days and a grand sense of accomplishment! You have the option of hiking up to the saddle or up to the summit. The saddle provides gorgeous views of Lake Wakatipu, and this is a good spot for new hikers to stop. Summit should be hiked with proper boots (for sturdy support). This trail is accessible from the gondola, though you can also catch it from Tiki Trail.

Did this hike in mid December and loved it. I'm not in great shape, so it was a challenge for me.I didn't attempt to go to the summit, just the saddle. You can do the first part hiking through the woods or take the gondola up and start there. I asked two locals and they both advised me to take the gondola and I'm glad I did. It's a steady climb, but the views are amazing!!

Friday, January 06, 2017