Queen Charlotte Track is a 63.4 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Picton, Marlborough, New Zealand that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking and backpacking.

Distance: 63.4 km Elevation Gain: 2,579 m Route Type: Point to Point

beach

A 4-day tramp exploring the serene land and sea-scapes of the Marlborough Sounds.

Easy, relatively flat track through the sounds. Beautiful camping grounds and beaches at the end of the day. Amazing views on multiple occasions. Low water in summer.

An amazing walk even if you are not an experienced hiker.

Those looking for 360-degree views should veer off QC onto the Onahau Lookout trail for a steady, uphill climb with unbeatable views of the sounds.

private property

A great truck! I spend 2 days with my ciclocross bike. Was not the best option, but I recommend it to do with a mountain bike. Anyway the views are stunning but in many part of the truck you have to push your bile up hill.

For time-pressed hikers, the Anakiwa to Davies Bay section of the Queen Charlotte track is perfect. Allocate 1.5 hours for the return journey, and expect a mostly shaded trail with ample opportunity to get close to the water.

Sweet as

The trek was beautiful and pretty easy, not steep at all, but we have done a short trail, only walked to the Grove Arm Viewpoint and then we went back from where we started in Anakiwa. It took us us 3 hours return.

Biked Torea Bay to Punga Cove. The first 4 miles or so are a challenging uphill, but totally doable on the bike. After that it becomes a bunch of rolling hills that are actually much more challenging. Many of the uphills are very steep and rocky and I had to walk my bike up many sections. Having said that, I’m not the most technical of riders and I assume others will be able to cope better. The trail rewards you with many spectacular and varied views of the Sounds. Highly recommend!

I backpacked the entire length starting at Ships Cove, ending in Anakiwa. I carried all of my gear and it took me 3 days (I'm a 25 year old female from the USA). Day 1: Ships Cove to Camp Bay ~26.5km Take a water taxi from Picton to Ships Cove one way. I used Beachcombers and the ticket was $71. You have the option to pay $5 between each day and have the taxis take your bags to the next stop if you'd like. At Ships Cove the trail starts with an aggressive ascent that lasts a few hours. It then flattens for most of the rest of the day. You will pass Minors Camp on your way to Camp Bay, which is another place you could camp and do some day hikes around. Camp Bay is $8 and offers toilets, water and overhead shelter if needed. Day 2: Camp Bay to Cowshed Bay Campsite ~23km The day starts again with an aggressive uphill climb and throughout the day has steep up and down hiking. I recommend taking your pack off to hike up to Eatswell Lookout. Its a steep little hike off the path, but WELL worth the effort with a vista that shows you all the ground you've covered so far. The day ends with a descent into Cowshed Bay Campsite which has toilets and a cold shower. Cost is $13 a night. Day 3: Cowshed Bay to Anakiwa ~20.5km Steep ascent out of Cowshed Bay that continues for several hours. Probably the hardest part of the track after carrying gear for two days. This is also where you are crossing private land, so be sure to have the $18 private land pass. You can purchase this from the water taxi services or the offices in Cowshed Bay. You will be most exposed during this day, so have a large brimmed hat and sunscreen handy. The second half of this day is all flat and then downhill into Anakiwa. Anakiwa does NOT have any hostels or service stations or rubbish bins. So don't plan for this to be your replenish spot. Use the public restrooms and running water to fuel up and either return to Picton here by water taxi, or follow the Link trail for an additional day or 20km to Picton. There are several Campgrounds along the way you can stay at for this. HOWEVER, the Link trail has been washed away in a lot of coastline areas. So I don't recommend hiking along the windy road. I hitchhiked back.

hands down the best hike I've ever done. beautiful scenery and very well maintained trail.

Beautifully maintained trail.