Learn more

Whanganui River is a 54.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Owhango, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, canoeing, and whitewater kayaking and is accessible year-round.

Length 54.6 mi Elevation gain 6,463 ft Route type Point to Point

Nature trips

River

Views

Wildlife

Description
Waypoints (5)

The "Great Walk" that isn't a walk - a 4-day canoe trip down the untouched land- and river-scapes of the Whanganui.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (5)
Photos (1)
Recordings (1)
Completed (19)
Kimberly StClair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 03 2018
Nature trips

After doing the MateMateaonga 3 day trek, we were picked up on the Whanganui river by one of the jet boats. They took us up to the Bridge to No-where were we hiked, had lunch, and back down the river to Pikiriki. I wish I could have added the Matemateaonga track to AllTrails as it was a great hike.

Danielle T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 27 2017
Paddle sports

I kayaked part of Whanganui in early-January on an adventure tour. We stayed at a sheep and bee farm on the river with private water access, so I can't provide input on entry/exit points. In short: this river is GORGEOUS. Tall cliffs hug you throughout, capped by green rainforest foliage for an exotic sense. Wild ducks and goats peek out to encourage you along your way. The truly adventurous make this a multi-day journey via canoe, staying at the many free first-come-first-serve government-owned "huts" along the river. I've added that to my bucket list; stay tuned. ;) One of the highlights of my north island trip for sure!

Brendan Toal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 20 2019
K. Popek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 17 2017
Jordan Dravitzki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 12 2017