Tongariro Northern Circuit

Tongariro Northern Circuit is a 63.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Owhango, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until April.

63.1 km
2,646 m

hot springs

Located in the heart of North Island in Tongariro National Park. A volcanic park full of unique lunar landscapes, old craters, lakes and steaming hot pools.

Awesome great alpine level walk with spectacular lakes and scenery.

I did this hike in March in 3 days instead of 4 and could of done it in 2 days. It is awesome! I did it anti clockwise so I did the summit at the beginning of the second day. Be aware that there is a LOT of people on the Tongariro crossing so leave for the summit very early in the morning. But the view is stunning and I’d do it again!

I haven't done this hike, but for those who don't know, the volcano in the center of the loop, Mt. Ngauruhoe, is Mt. Doom in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

One of my favorite hikes of all time.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Volcanos, craters, tussock- what more could a girl ask for! such an amazing hike. We took our time and explored a bit so finished in 5 days. We started first with the Alpine crossing. This part is steep. very steep. I was also using my hands to walk I was at such an angle. Lots of rocks so be careful of your ankles and knees on this one. Did the optional Glacier lake on day five, but this is all scree and pretty steep. Worth it!!!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Amazing trail. Beautiful landscapes from Mars like terrain to green moss forests. Highly reccomend and in a tent is better than the cabin personally.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018