Whanganui River

Whanganui River is a 87.9 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Whakahoro, Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, canoeing, and whitewater kayaking and is accessible year-round.

87.9 km
4412 m
Point to Point

canoeing

whitewater kayaking

The "Great Walk" that isn't a walk - a 4-day canoe trip down the untouched land- and river-scapes of the Whanganui.

sea kayaking

I kayaked part of Whanganui in early-January on an adventure tour. We stayed at a sheep and bee farm on the river with private water access, so I can't provide input on entry/exit points. In short: this river is GORGEOUS. Tall cliffs hug you throughout, capped by green rainforest foliage for an exotic sense. Wild ducks and goats peek out to encourage you along your way. The truly adventurous make this a multi-day journey via canoe, staying at the many free first-come-first-serve government-owned "huts" along the river. I've added that to my bucket list; stay tuned. ;) One of the highlights of my north island trip for sure!

canoeing