Tongariro Northern Circuit

Tongariro Northern Circuit is a 64.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whakapapa Village, Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until April.

64.7 km
3033 m

hot springs

Located in the heart of North Island in Tongariro National Park. A volcanic park full of unique lunar landscapes, old craters, lakes and steaming hot pools.

Volcanos, craters, tussock- what more could a girl ask for! such an amazing hike. We took our time and explored a bit so finished in 5 days. We started first with the Alpine crossing. This part is steep. very steep. I was also using my hands to walk I was at such an angle. Lots of rocks so be careful of your ankles and knees on this one. Did the optional Glacier lake on day five, but this is all scree and pretty steep. Worth it!!!

Amazing trail. Beautiful landscapes from Mars like terrain to green moss forests. Highly reccomend and in a tent is better than the cabin personally.