Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a 19.2 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Whakapapa Village, Manawatu-Wanganui Region, New Zealand that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

19.2 km
886 m
Point to Point

hot springs

No permit is needed for the one-day Tongariro Alpine Crossing hike, however transportation arrangements must be made for both ends of the hike. You must also be mindful of shuttle pick-up times if you decide to summit Mt. Tongariro or Mt. Ngauruhoe (both cannot be done within the same day). There are sections of the hike that are considered active volcano areas.

We did this as part of our Tongoriro Northern Circuit hike (takes 4-5 days). Very beautiful! Very tough day hike. There are people who turn back or just sit down off the trail waiting for their group to come back. Hard on the knees. Very busy trail!!! It's basically a line of people doing this thing.

An amazing hike.The views are fantastic. Prepare for all weather. I did it in late January (summer) It was really cold when we started and then it got hot, then really windy with a bit of chill factor and rained on the way down! The track was incredibly busy at this time of year, but chatted with lots of really cool people from all over the world! My husband and I did this with our then 12 year old at his request. Even though he is really fit, it was tough going for him.

amazing hike! the view is worth the effort.

Do it!

Did this hike in September 2016. Amazing amazing experience!

Probably the best day hike anywhere in the world. Volcanoes, lakes, a variety of topography. The only downside is it's very popular and you might get a bit held up on the steep parts.

Amazing hike! When I hiked it with my family we had the best conditions possible. The sun was out, no clouds, no rain, and little wind. Couldn't have asked for better conditions. Definitely worth the climb for the views!

I hiked this trail in May.

I did this hike in mid-January as part of a g adventures north island tour (highly recommend if you don't need frills and want to travel with a diverse group of people of all ages from all over the world; no single supplement to boot). This became one of my favorite hikes in the world (so much variety!). It will become yours too, especially if you're a Lord of the Rings fan (I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Behold! Mt. Doom!"). Prepare for all weather/temperatures, including severe winds on the first climb. The pools are a nice spot to rest, gape in awe, and take in some lunch. The switchbacks on the back half of the hike seem to go on FOREVER (although the views are magnificent), but finally end in a beautiful forest that seems to heal you from any previous exhaustion. Loved this hike!

Great trail with nice landscapes!

This hike should be on everyone's bucket list! Definitely need sturdy shoes and lots of water. Wear lots of layers during fall. We booked a ride from the finish to the start of the trail so we could get our car and travel at our own pace. Took us 7 hours, very hard! Our step counter said we climbed 182 floors! Definitely need to be in good shape. Incredibly beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful! But you must be prepared for the weather. We didn't get the trail on the best day, Easter weekend. Visibility was super low. I wish we could have gone on a better day and top of the mountain was more than rough to pass due to the wind conditions and hail. Be prepared for that with gloves and heavy rain gear. It took us about 7 hours without the two summits, just lots of pictures.

What an experience! Pretty tough, very beautiful.

Beautiful hike- pictures don't do it any justice. Definitely a steep climb at the beginning and the downhill is rough on your feet at the end, but it was stunning. We went at a pretty leisurely pace and finished in 7 hours (without doing either of the summits). Would highly recommend! We got lucky with weather and it was chilly/windy at the top, but definitely manageable.