Eastenders Track

Eastenders Track is a 3.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.2 km Elevation Gain: 257 m Route Type: Out & Back

The Eastenders Track shown here in Barnett Park is open. The western part of the park, including the old trail leading to the cave, is closed. The closure has been in effect since the earthquakes in 2011. If you wish to visit the cave, the trail there is unmaintained and overgrown.

bridge out
closed

It is true that the view is nice but it is not worth risking your life! Extremely dangerous and is even more beautiful by taking the path that leads to the top of the cave. I got lost because the path is so badly maintained that I did not see it, at the intersection I took left instead of right ... but it does not matter, the view was worth it . Hiking really not recommended

bridge out
closed

I did enjoy the walk. For me it was a blast from the past. Walked it regularly between 1991 and 1993. Brought back fond memories. Unfortunately the track is no longer being maintained by the looks of it. There were however around 10 other people on the track at the time I walked it. The stairs to the cave are in a bad state with steps missing in several places and the handrail gone in others. The track itself had rocks on it in places. All manageable obstacles as long as you're being careful in my opinion. I walked the track 'clockwise'. As I finished the walk I saw a sign that told me that the return leg of the track was actually closed...

One of the entry points to the track to the cave is not what I could consider child friendly as it has a thin and more of an off track (gorse etc) route and is not signed well. The staircase is also a bit broken but easy enough to get up and down. Views are great and walk is pretty easy overall!

Lots of spikes along the way, too narrow and bushes have over grown. Sweet view but just dangerous on the way in and out, slipped a lot. View is nice from the cave but the walk to and from I think is not worth it.

This map needs to be updated. This is no longer a loop and it is unsafe to get right up to the cave. Looking towards the cave the right hand part of the “loop” is closed due to earthquake damage. Left hand half is fine. However it is best to turn left towards Summit Road rather than attempt to get to the cave.

this is not a kid friendly track at the moment, it has obviously had no repairs since the earthquake and the right side of the loop is closed...not that we saw that till we got to the end having nearing broken my ankle several times. I would highly recommend not doing this track after any rain.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Wouldn’t do it after a rainfall, it’s quite dangerous as it is! It is closed but you can access it.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Recommend starting counterclockwise as the footing is better for the down hill portion. Hiking poles a good idea also.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Pretty fast and relatively easy with great views from the cave and a nice seating area to sit back and relax.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017