beach

Friday, September 29, 2017

Visited from the US, really nice walk around the island. I took the 9:45am ferry which is 30$ NZD for round trip. I recommend making a day out of it and catching a morning ride out to the island, the last departure from Motatupu back to Auckland is 4pm I believe and they won't wait for you :)

I started with the summit hike and was going at a fairly good pace. I'm in fairly good shape so I made it in about 35 minutes. Views are ok, you get a nice 360 view of the island and can see the Auckland skyline from the top. If you want to continue exploring, the lava caves are about a 20 minute walk with some back tracking down the summit trail. Look for signs and trail markers, you'll miss them if you aren't paying attention.

From there, you could back track to the main summit trail and walk the roadway down to Yankee Wharf and connect to the Coastal Track (map: https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/nz6303/Yankee-Wharf/Auckland). PROTECT your ankles and wear hiking footwear! The Yankee Wharf spot is a nice place to have lunch and view the serene waters. With a few breaks along the way, I made it back to Rangitoto Wharf by 3:30pm. Good way to spend a day outside of Auckland and be back in time for dinner.