Poon Hill Trek: Tikhedunga to Ghorepani Doerali

Poon Hill Trek: Tikhedunga to Ghorepani Doerali is a 10.3 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Tikhedhunga, Gandaki, Nepal that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until July.

10.3 km
1475 m
Point to Point

Day 2 of Annapurna 5-day trek to Poon Hill. This section's destination is Ghorepani. 10.4km, about 6hrs of which effectively 3,5hrs walking. Probably the 2nd day is the toughest, because you have to climb from 1485m to 2879; over 1400m. Most climbing happens at the start on steep stairs. Uleri is at 2020m altitude, and this is just 550m the first 1.9km. After Uleri the terrain evens out, a bit, while you're still slowly climbing. Towards Ghorepani you find yourself entering the Rhododendron forests.

First, this site won't let you update this trail or make a new trail review from Nay Pul to Poon Hill. Not sure why. Either way, this review is for Nay Pul to Poon Hill. I Completed this trek from 23JUNE through 26JUN. Once leaving Kathmandu via travel bus (10$ for transportation) we traveled for about 3 hours until we came to a complete stop. There was a landslide along the Narayanghat Mugling HWY that caused a severe traffic jam along the Prithivi HWY. It took me 18 hours of travel, some walking and hitch hiking to make it to Pokara where I slept in a motel for 4$. This was a pretty "basic room" but there are plenty of places to stay in Pokara that can range up to 100$. The next morning I took a taxi (10$ for transportation) to Naya Pul and it took me about an hour. Once I arrived, I had some milk tea and a cigarette before I set off along the identified route (according to this site). Because I was behind schedule, I hiked all the way to Ghode Pani. The total elevation gain for this through hike to Poon Hill from Naya Pul is 7,150 Feet. Along the trail, there are multiple bridges and I had the opportunity to hang some prayer flags, take plenty of pictures, and purchase multiple bottles of water and food. This trail is heavily traveled and used by the villagers to transport goods via horse back to Ghode Pani. You can find water, food, snacks, soda, and even WIFI at the teahouses along the way (Cost is 3$ a day). There are a lot of local dogs along the trail that appear friendly ( I did not try to pet though) to humans but are territorial when it comes to other dogs. I had a dog follow me multiple times looking for food, probably because I am a westerner. Cell phone service is good and I was using NCELL. However, as you approach Ghode Pani you will need to use WIFI or buy a NTC since that is the only provider in the area from what I saw. I spent the night in Ghode Pani and then woke up at 0430 to hike up to Poon Hill to watch the sunrise. I arrived at 0530 at the top where they have a lookout tower and a tea/coffee shack. I was able to buy a cup of milk tea (the best drink in Nepal) and the metal cup as a souvenir for 3$. Once I took my photos of the Himalayas I headed back down to Ghode Pani. The was also a dog on the summit that followed me down to Ghode Pani. Once I arrived, I ate breakfast and departed for Tikhedhungga where I arrived at 1400. The legs where tired and I was very hungry since the trail doesn't provide much cover from the sun. I was able to take a hot shower (cost $3). The food was great and everything they provide me at the teahouse is fresh from the garden or gathered that day (even the chicken) which the owner of the teahouse had to go down to the nearest village to retrieve. Even had an Everest Beer. There was an issue with the WIFI though in this area for some reason. I would also recommend buying multiple minute cards before departing. I used about 1000 rupees worth of txt and call. They do have some tea houses that sell minute cards (hit and miss) but the closer you get to Ghode Pani they only sell NTC and not NCELL. I went to sleep around 2100 and woke up at 0500, ate breakfast and departed for Naya Pul where I arrived at my original drop off point at 1000. Very good trip and didn't expect anything less. Met people from Egypt, Singapore, Spain, Germany, and the US. If you don't want to drive to Pokara from Kathmandu, I would recommend flying. It cost about 160$ for a two-way ticket if you don't want to risk traffic and falling behind if you are on a strict timeline.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

A pretty had climb but with world class scenery.