Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Pico de Orizaba North Face Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Calcahualco, Veracruz, Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 4,301 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pico de Orizaba, also known as Citlaltépetl is a volcano, and the highest mountain in Mexico and the third highest in North America at 18,491 ft. It is located between the states of Veracruz and Puebla. The volcano is currently dormant but not extinct. The south face is the "easier" way to hike to the summit. The north face is more technical and with ice is very dangerous a lot of fatalities each year.

I climbed the Pico de Orizaba on March 13 with a friend and an experienced guide. The trail starts from the hut and is sandy and rocky, you have to be very careful when walking especially in the Labyrinth. It took us 4 hours to get to where the glacier starts, we arrived just at sunrise with a wonderful landscape. There we put on crampons and we connected to the guide with a rope, each with an ice ax. The glacier is very steep and at this time of year it is crystallizing and there are many parts with slippery ice, this is the most difficult part of the ascent but it is worth the effort, the view from the crater and the summit in all directions is spectacular. Going down the glacier was more difficult and slower, and in some sections dangerous due to ice and cracks. This is one of the most difficult and tiring adventures I have ever done but with great satisfaction for having reached the summit and having contemplated an incredible landscape from the top of the highest mountain in Mexico.

icy

Very tough hike, coming from sea level altitude definitely affected me. We hiked la malinche 2 days prior to help acclimatise. My brother took diamox as he suffered a little with altitude on la malinche, I did not but I could not sleep the night of the hike & once we hit 5000m I struggled. Spectacular views at the top. 10hrs up & back (our guide pushed hard). Highly recommend

icy

Completed this on December 24th. Took 7 hours up and 4 coming down. Hardest climb I ever did (and I'm in very good shape), with the glacier section being the toughest part. I completed La Malinche and did a hike in the Pico forest both at around 14k before to help acclimatize. I was roped up with a guide and crampons + ice axe are a must. Go prepared and acclimatize properly so that you can guarantee your summit, the altitude is brutal, but the view at the top is fantastic. My watch clocked in around 6500ft gained total from start to finish (hut was the starting point). This was probably due to some sections that go up and back down. Good Luck!

Mon Feb 11 2019

I climbed the peak unguided yesterday. It was beautiful. We had a group of seven guys in fairly good shape. From the hut, it took us 7 hours to the top and 4 hours coming down. The first 2/3 of the hike is dirt and rock with some scrambling and then glacial travel for the last 1/3. Most people do not rope up, but crampons and an ice axe are a must. There are multiple trails through the Labyrinth below the glacier. When coming down, I recommend tracking the trail so that you can follow it on the way down. Also stick to the trails on the left when you are in the Labyrinth. We used summitorizaba. com for our accommodations and the lodging and transportation was fantastic.

Sun Mar 10 2019