Cerro de la Silla (Antenas) is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Guadalupe, Nuevo León, Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,851 feet Route Type: Out & Back

One of the most popular hikes on Monterrey to the top of the famous Cerro de la Silla.

I actually hiked the Pico Norte trail which doesn't show up on this app. You can find the trail head on Google maps (northwest side of mountain). I recommend having someone drop you off or the security guard will make you walk an extra km through the neighborhood to the trailhead (which is the last thing you need on this difficult hike!!). The beginning of the trail is a bit difficult to see. Hug the fence to the left to find the trail. With an elevation gain of about 4000', it is very steep, rocky, and difficult but very rewarding. Going down was more difficult than going up. This trail punishes you right from the start and never lets up. Fortunately there are abundant small trees and rocks to grab on to as you climb the mountain. Bring at least 2 liters of water for this hike. You need good shoes, good knees, determination, and a strong heart to hike this to the summit. I had a spectacular view of the antennas and all the mountains that surround Monterrey. I didn't see anyone else in this trail which is a plus for me. Start early in the morning when this side of the mountain is cool. It will get hot in the afternoon as the sun changes angle. This trail is for tough experienced hikers with good trail finding skills. There are several markers (ribbons) along the way. It took me 6 hours to do the entire hike to the summit and back (plus a break at the top).

Great trail. Rocky, but not a lot of loose rocks. There are almost no flat spots in this trail and your legs and body will know it. There was a wide range of traffic including older men and women (outpacing me), kids, teens, and two trucks headed up for maintenance on the trail and antennas at the top. Don’t underestimate the amount of work your legs will do going back down; take care of your knees and remember that many of the rocks are slippery.

Sun Apr 07 2019

muy empinado... pero Vale la pena la vista de la Nuevo Leon

Sat Apr 06 2019

Amazing views.

Sun Jan 13 2019

Great hike with great views. It was challenging but a good one. You can get a similar view from the (closed) teleférico station about 1/3-1/2 of the way up, so if you are feeling really challenged you can stop there. We went early one morning and some of the paved parts of the trail were quite slippery, but other than that it was great. A couple of things to note: 1- If you go early in the morning, there are police guarding the entrance, so unless you want to pay a 100 peso "tip" (around $5) to park inside as a "resident" you will need to allow some extra time to find nearby free street parking and walk up the steep hill. 2- If you go early in the morning, same police at the entrance of the road will not allow you to take your dogs on the trail. If you have a good Spanish level, you can wait for them to offer you to pay a "tip" of 100 pesos to let the dogs go to the trail. Be warned, however, that there could be more issues later. A police car with two officers stopped us right before the trail (after paying the "tip") and would not let us enter the trail and also threatened that if we did enter later we could be reported. They parked and got out of their cars and waited for quite a long time at the trail (while we unsuccessfully tried to find other routes to access the trail without them seeing). It's possible that one of the neighbors in the fancy neighborhood called them. Anyway, after hiking back down to the entrance and explaining to the original cop we "tipped", he told us to go back up and quickly, so we did and we were able to hike the whole thing with no problems. We saw a few other people on the trail with their dogs (all friendly and well behaved) and figured they either did the same thing or came later. When we finished hiking about 6 hours later, there was no road block and no cop at the entrance, so anyone could get in. This hike was challenging and we took quite a few breaks. It ended up taking us a little less than 6 hours and was around 6 miles round trip. We are in pretty good shape and hike fairly regularly and work out regularly, so just be prepared that it could take a little longer than you might expect, but overall is a great hike.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Easy enough for a beginner. it was my first hike up a mountain. Took me about 3 hours. Very easy because there is a road that leads you to the top, but don't be fooled because it's entirely vertical. There are no easy/flat parts. The view from the top at the antenas is well worth it. Hang out with some Coatis if you get the chance they're really cute and really friendly.

Thu May 24 2018

Loved this hike! Amazing views. Started the hike early in the morning to watch the sun rise. The incline in some areas are steep. Make sure to bring the correct shoes. Overall it was beautiful.

Wed May 16 2018

Tough hike for a hot day! Very few switchbacks, almost straight up! Great views of the city below all the way up however. Well used by a lot of people of all ages, even on the Wednesday afternoon that I went. Beautiful blooming cactus and a friendly raccoon that met me up top!

Fri May 04 2018

It was my first hike ever. The view from up there it’s definitely worth it. Although I must admit that I didn’t fully complete it as my group decided to only go as far as the vacant Cableway.

Sat May 25 2019