Nevado de Toluca El Fraile Loop Trail

Nevado de Toluca El Fraile Loop Trail is a 6.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Toluca, México, Mexico that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.8 km Elevation Gain: 644 m Route Type: Loop

I did this trail trail as my first higher altitude hike. The views are breathtaking. You drive up to the edge of the krater and walk in to the crater and climb up to the top. It’s way down is one long steep “path” straight down over loose gravel and rock which will take every last bit of energy from the upper legs. Going down with the car I got a splitting headache from the big altitude change over too short of a time.

This is the second time I visit this beautiful place, the fantastic view of the mountains, the lagoon and also the Iztaccihuatl and El Popocatépetl volcanoes leaves you breathless. A lot of people visit this volcano on weekends. My purpose was to reach the El Fraile, but we took the wrong path, I hope the next time I can do it.

Sunday, October 18, 2015