Mount Solmar

Mount Solmar is a 2.6 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

2.6 km
128 m

beach

This is a short but fairly challenging hike to the top of a peak with excellent views of Cabo San Lucas. There's no official trailhead. Entry is through a gated chainlink fence in front of a dog kennel. The kennel is across from a Navy base. The trail initially follows an obvious dirt road. When the road reaches a second cement platform you can go straight (flat) to Divorce beach or go right, steeply up to the peak. It gets a bit confusing as the pitch steepens. There are multiple paths. If you continue east on a flat trail north of the peak then you will get nice views down to Divorce Beach.

It was very difficult for our group to find much info on this trail, so I’ll do my best to add some useful tips, because this is 100% a hike you won’t want to miss.

For starters, the description of the trail entrance is spot on (dog kennel, across from the naval base). Do Not climb through a hole in the fence (that is trespassing). There is a gate directly across from the naval base (where the dog kennel is), and you enter the trail through that gate. There are dogs roaming free inside this gate, so make sure you turn around and latch the gate closed after you enter.

The dog kennel is owned by Enrique, and this is his private property. He is gracious enough to allow people to enter through his private property, but keep that in mind. Due to this, it would be most polite to try to speak with Enrique prior to hiking (He is often on his property so you might be able to catch him when you show up). However, he has posted signs on his gate that welcome you onto his property even if he is not there (he was not there when we did this hike). There is a box atttached to the gate to allow you to give him a tip (you should, again this is his private property).

Follow the dirt road up to the point where it is no longer a road, and then simply follow the orange/yellow trail markers up to the top. The view up top is unmatched, and you won’t regret it! As others have said, pack at least 1-2 water bottles per person, as it is a steep climb (wear hiking shoes!) and it will be hot if it is during the day.

Once you reach the top, you can continue on down the other side and end up at Divorce Beach (this trek is a little bit harder than the way up, but totally worth it to end at the beach). Pack swimming gear and cool off after that great hike! There will be several people at the beach to offer you a water taxi back to the marina

Trail is great watch out for the dogs there at the kennel they run wild and one bit a good chunk from my calf

Great view! Except at the top it smells like piss...
One thing is a must is to continue down to Playa del Amor... then pick up a water taxi back... it was nice after a hike in 95 degrees to end it all in the ocean!

thiis was a great hike something to do for free while in cabo try both routes

this was a great hike something to do for free while in cabo

Enrique welcomed me and my family at the gate and showed us which way up to the summit. We ran to the trail head and back so from the Casa Dorada total mileage was 5.5 miles. Perfect workout! I tipped him $10 for 4 of us but I think he would have been happy with anything. I even took a pic with him.

I did not read the above description very well before our first attempt to hike Mt. Solmar. We asked locals where the trail head was (though it clearly states it above) and they sent us to the beach entrance that Alex (below) mentions. We made it up to the "No Pase" signs and some sketchy fencing before turning back. Next we found a little side entrance up to the dirt road and took the Divorce Beach route, following yellow ribbons to the top. The other route is marked by orange ribbons. On our way back down we met Enrique Morales Mendez, the owner of the dog training center. He informed us that trespassing can land you in jail for a day and that everyone should use the gate (mentioned above, I took a photo too). He was very nice, informative and working to get the word out on the proper entrance to Mt. Solmar - so I'm doing my part to spread the word. The views at the top were amazing. The hike is good for adults, maybe not kids. There is zero shade so be prepared and bring water. Definitely recommend!

It's really a very easy trail, to reach the top you have two options, the first is to enter a home sheltered dogs right in front of the naval station clear permission, and the second is to go along the beach until you reach the gate which has a hole where it is easy to traspas, thereafter the trail is guided by ribbons , once you reach the cross, the view is spectacular you can see where the sea of Cortés and the Pacific Ocean meet

Excellent view of the harbor on the way up and at the top. A bit of a scramble at times but worth it for the view. Little to no traffic up or down.

Great little adventure up a steep mountain to a cross with views of the surrounding marina, ocean, etc. It's an easy hike to the saddle and then there is some scrambling at the top. The trail is marked by ribbons and its a bit overgrown in some spots and hard to tell which way to go but you can't get lost!! Fun experience. You can walk all around the property and overlook divorce beach and the other swimming area by pelican Rock. Great views.