For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mount Pelée via Grande Savane Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Le Prêcheur, Saint-Pierre, Martinique that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 2,158 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (15)
Recordings (5)
Completed (13)
Samuel Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 17, 2020
RockyScramble

Lovely hike, straight up the ridge to the caldera and peak. Really sharp and rocky terrain with a bunch of holes near the top. Short hike length (3-4 hours) but definitely hard terrain rather than moderate. Extremely windy and in the clouds at the top. Views are spectacular when gaps in the clouds present themselves. The drive up to the trailhead is pretty wild too, hope you're good at driving standard and dodging goats!

Aaron Urbanek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. It’s rare to have a trail that offers so many unique views on the ascent. Every ten minutes we had another view, like a Russian doll that keeps giving you more and more and more. Driving to the beginning of the trail is like driving the Amalfi Coast, but up all the way. The trail is very well defined. It is fairly steep all the way up. About 80% in you have to walk over a lot of wet and smooth rocks as the trail become thinner. I had to use my hands and butt a few times. We start our ascent around 6am to beat the heat. As we climbed down the sun was finally on our backs. It took us 3:40 including breakfast at the end of the yellow trail. I loved this hike.

Lone Bryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2019
HikingBlowdownMuddyRockyScramble
First to Review

We hit the trail at 9:30 and it was an immediate steep incline, not letting up for a good 30 minutes. It is a consistently steep (but gorgeous) hike! I was expecting King Kong’s face to emerge from the clouds - it was a set-of-a-movie beautiful. The rain was intermittent but never enough to make it too muddy until we got up into the clouds. Then it became incredibly windy and more wet and humid. There is an old abandoned hut about 20 minutes from the top and from that point on the wind increased until it was like a hurricane- pushing us around. The rocks at the top were slippery and I cut my ankle when I slipped and my foot got wedges between rocks. We felt like we were in danger for a few minutes when the wind was blowing us around at the top (and we couldn’t see any of the drop offs because of the clouds). We were a good 20 feet from what seemed like a drop off though, and we were fine. Such a great adventure! This hike is for reasonably fit people. Reasonably fit people who aren’t adventurous won’t like this hike, as there is scrambling required in the top section. I went with a 9 year old and an 11 year old, and they (and I) had an AWESOME time!

Kelsey Toews
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 22, 2020
View Kelsey's Recording
Paul Sinaï
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 26, 2019
View Paul's Recording
Marc Orelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2019
Tobias Wacker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2019
View Tobias's Recording