Penang Hill via Moongate

Penang Hill via Moongate is a 11.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penang, Penang, Malaysia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 11.6 km Elevation Gain: 898 m Route Type: Out & Back

There are two rest stops where you can refill your water, 5 and 84.

easy to find, especially Moniot Rd is great

This trail was definitely a handful. There are situations where you will be climbing (as in grabbing a tree roots to pull yourself up). I did it with a pair of runners, and lots of water. I started recording a little late, but distance wise I went 3.66 miles, and it took me right around two hours. I decided to take heritage Trail down, as I did not think I have enough time to go out the same way. My biggest suggestion would be to give yourself plenty of time. I started later in the day, and felt that I was trying to hurry along fearful of losing light, and not having an exact plan of how I was coming down. It was a beautiful hike, and I even saw monkeys! The top is very very touristy, and the line to take the train down is quite long. However if you’re feeling drained at the top, it is nice to know that you can take the train down if you need to. I opted to come down Heritage Trail, and took a bus back to Georgetown area for 2RM! I’ll follow up with a review there. I would definitely recommend this trail if you enjoy hiking. However do not underestimate, proper shoes, plenty of water, and time will be needed.

We would recommend this trail to hike early in the morning. We started at ten o‘clock and finished at 1 pm. It was pretty hot at the beginning but comfortable temperatures later on the track. Carry on enough water!!! Hiking-boots recommended. Might be very slippery after rain. The track is a good nature experience, the top of Penang Hill is hell of a touristic place. We took another way back over monkey cup.

recorded Moongate - No 5