Learn more

Penang Hill via Moongate is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penang, Penang, Malaysia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,946 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There are two rest stops where you can refill your water, 5 and 84.

Amazing trail! Difficult as it is mostly all uphill and has some steep sections, but it’s dotted with beautiful overlooks and the trail is very well maintained. One of the coolest trails I’ve been on, and certainly one of the best Penang has to offer!

Took us just under 2 hours to complete. Hard stair section at the beginning and at the end, with a few scrambles in some places. The middle section of the trail was pretty flat and quite pleasant. Would recommend this route up Penang Hill.

Very exciting and challenging esp the initial part of it.. Unable to reach penang hill due to the limited time I had.. Will go up till penang hill on my next visit to penang

Great trail! Recommended over the heritage trail unless you like suffering and your knees are in outstanding condition (mine are not). Straightforward route. Went up Moongate and came out from Heritage Trail---save all the stairs for going down. Total time in and out was 3.30 mins for 11+ kilometers. Your mileage may vary.

This was a brilliant hike up to the top of Penang Hill. The start is a tough 30 minute uphill climb but that levels off to a moderate climb thereafter until you hit the final couple of km through some lovely forest. We did this on a Tuesday and hardly saw any other walkers. Would recommend starting early (rather than at 11 like we did) just due to the humidity and sun! Had a great (but expensive) beer at the top and enjoyed the view.

Wed Jun 12 2019

easy to find, especially Moniot Rd is great

Thu Mar 28 2019

This trail was definitely a handful. There are situations where you will be climbing (as in grabbing a tree roots to pull yourself up). I did it with a pair of runners, and lots of water. I started recording a little late, but distance wise I went 3.66 miles, and it took me right around two hours. I decided to take heritage Trail down, as I did not think I have enough time to go out the same way. My biggest suggestion would be to give yourself plenty of time. I started later in the day, and felt that I was trying to hurry along fearful of losing light, and not having an exact plan of how I was coming down. It was a beautiful hike, and I even saw monkeys! The top is very very touristy, and the line to take the train down is quite long. However if you’re feeling drained at the top, it is nice to know that you can take the train down if you need to. I opted to come down Heritage Trail, and took a bus back to Georgetown area for 2RM! I’ll follow up with a review there. I would definitely recommend this trail if you enjoy hiking. However do not underestimate, proper shoes, plenty of water, and time will be needed.

Mon Mar 25 2019

We would recommend this trail to hike early in the morning. We started at ten o‘clock and finished at 1 pm. It was pretty hot at the beginning but comfortable temperatures later on the track. Carry on enough water!!! Hiking-boots recommended. Might be very slippery after rain. The track is a good nature experience, the top of Penang Hill is hell of a touristic place. We took another way back over monkey cup.

Sat Jun 29 2019