Learn more

Mount Fuji Yoshida Trail [CLOSED] is a 11.6 mile loop trail located near Fujiyoshida Shi, Yamanashi, Japan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until September.

Length 11.6 mi Elevation gain 4,940 ft Route type Loop

Photos (560)
Recordings (93)
Completed (347)
Erin McDuffie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
Cameron Harrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2020
Hiking

I loved my hike on Mt.Fuji. Took me about 6 hours to get to the top. Once I made it to the top, the sight of looking at the down at the clouds was amazing. I also took a 30 minute nap once I reached the top lol

JoAnn L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2019
Hiking

I did the night hike years ago and it’s still one of the most memorable hikes I have ever done. Fortunately we had beautiful weather and a lovely sunrise. A notable portion of the ascending trail consisted of endless steep switchbacks. Lots of lose rocks on the descending trail. It was cold and windy near the summit so bring warm layers and rain gear. The 5th station has a shop with supplies for the climb. There are little huts along the entire way up and at the summit to get a hot drink/snacks. We arrived at the 5th station and started hiking around 11pm ( arrived at Subaru 5th station via bus from Shinjuku) and were able to finally summit around sunrise due to heavy traffic/congestion getting up the last station. This included a couple short stops to have tea. Even the congestion I would estimate it should 5-6 hours up and 3ish down. Coming from sea level, I definitely felt the altitude. Absolutely amazing in normal weather...I don’t recommend doing this hike if the weather or visibility is expected to be poor; it will be miserable on the climb and then you won’t even get the view as a reward (but you can still visit the crater).

David Mullins
Hiking

This is the first hike I’ve done to higher elevation and I felt it. Above 9000 your body tells you to take small intentional steps and conserve energy as much as possible. Apart from feeling a lack of oxygen when you take a deep breath my body didn’t exhibit any other effects from the altitude. Although I hiked alone a few people I met at the base camp had to turn back because they started to feel sick. I can definitely appreciate why this is a Difficult rated hike, it’s 4 hrs of nonstop vertical climbing with the altitude, rough terrain and wind making it that bit more difficult. Took me 4 hrs up, (Subaru 5th station to the Summit) 2.5hrs down- with a quick 20 min got lost detour, I left at 5 am. The mountain was “closed” but I applied for a winter hiking permit at the info desk at the Subaru 5th station. The people there in-courage you not to climb. I can see the logic if you are not prepared, not fit or if something small happens none of the cabins are open to seek help. It was a nice hike. At 10,000+ you are well above the clouds and this is a surreal feeling. At the top it was a bit unremarkable, the ash does not encourage any wildlife or any type of vegetation growth. I came up the Ysodia trail. The wind was gusting 60+mph at the top making it quiet cold. I did not go over to the side with the elevation marker which is a little bit of a regret as I missed this photo opportunity. At the top the wind was blowing around the ash so I chose to get out of dodge instead. So in summary, this was a rewarding,challenging hike. Make sure your equipped for the drop in temp, possible rain and intense wind. On the way down you follow a ash/gravel steep declining bulldozed track. It would be highly recommended to have trekking poles as your feet often slide from under you on the loose ash.

View David's Recording
Barton Land
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

An experience of a lifetime. I hiked to the summit from the Subaru Line 5th Station at 7.5k ft in about 4.5 hours. Even with poor weather toward the summit the views were amazing.Several people on my hiking bus did not summit due to altitude sickness and/or poor physical fitness. If you plan on doing his hike start hydrating a few days out, get sleep, minimize caffeine, and avoid alcohol. Wear boots with ankle support and consider trekking poles or a walking stick for the way down. Checkout my video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZLnatQSbs

David N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
HikingRocky

(Sept 3-4) We did it! My oldest daughter and I hiked to the summit of Mt Fuji (12,388’). We persevered the steep rocky inclines, and the human traffic to reach the summit. . We started at 1:00pm at Station 5 and hiked 5.2 hrs up to Fujisan Hotel (11,154’), the original 8th station. We woke at 2:00am to hike another 2hrs to the summit (12,388’) to view the sunrise. Fortunately we started early due to the large number of people making the trek. It was a slow moving queue, like rush hour traffic on the freeway. Once on top we were met with wind, clouds and misting rain. Strong wind periodically cleared openings in the clouds to provide gorgeous views of the sunrise. The descending route is a steep tractor path covered with loose red lava gravel. It was slippery, but it was much easier and faster than the ascending route. We returned to the 5th station in 2.5 hrs. This was a strenuous hike even for a 61 yo, but I’m glad to have shared the experience with my daughter

Sean Landrum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2019
HikingClosedWashed out

How can I even start this review? I’m in the navy and I did a guided MWR tour. Got to Subaru line early because supposedly a typhoon was rolling in (July 28). Our guides talked to the mountain guides when we arrived to discuss whether or not we could do it. It was pouring rain, windy, foggy, just not what I had in mind for Fuji. I wanted to see the views. The decided to go, so up we went. Let me just say, that this was singlehandedly the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. The first set of switchbacks were hard but manageable albeit in the horrible weather. After you get to the 6th station, the switchbacks to turn sheer rock, and it’s excruciating. We trekked all the way up to the original 8th station, the weather getting worse. We were told that the summit was too dangerous and had to turn around. I was so devastated. The trek down was faster, but more painful. My advice is if you’re gonna do fuji, make sure you have great weather! Gonna do this again in my lifetime!

Jirius Normand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2019
HikingRocky
Jesper Højdal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2019
Hiking

It was a buitiful loope hike from Fuji-Subaru Line 5th Station. Staying overnight at 8th Station. Starting "day 2" at 2:30 am in due time to reach the summit on due time for watching an amazing sunrise.

View Jesper's Recording
Philip Jasso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2019
HikingBlowdownNo shadeRocky

I would highly recommend this trail, be cautious of extreme wind gusts, and lava dust, eye protection, and gloves a must.

K. Galbraith
Hiking

Climbed Yoshida route on August 16. 4.5 hours to the Hakuunso hut on 8th station, spent a night there and another 2.5 hours to the summit (left the hut around 5am). Did “ohachi meguri” (loop hike around the crater at the summit) that took for couple of hours, and another 4 hours to descent. As many as 13 or so huts are selling warm coffee etc during ascent but don’t plan on it for descent. Wonderful view from anywhere passed 8th station.

Richard Nordhoff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
Hiking

Did a guided climb (MWR Atsugi) yesterday 24 Aug. Hike was 5th station to summit. Loved the climb and it was more challenging than I thought because of the elevation. My recommendation is to go as light as possible, and take trekking poles for the decent. The decent trail is like skidding down on moon dust with rocks. I did not have gaiters and dreadfully regretted not taking any. Got started at about 0700, summit at 1430, back at 5th station 1830. I want to come back for the sunrise hike another day.

Aden User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

Enjoyed the summit and all of the views, still was pretty crowded and not the most "cozy" because camping in tents is not allowed. Many people wear sneakers and run this trail because after doing it about five times it's very predictable-- dont be like them -- I would still wear boots after summiting 100 times, those volcanic rocks are just too annoying on the way down and gaiters are something that I highly recommend if you go when it's crowded. There is water on the trail but if you ever need to buy some from there, then you didn't prepare well. It takes common sense and preparation to climb Mt. Fuji once, and an idiot to climb it twice.

Ashley C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2019
HikingRockyScramble
View Ashley's Recording
Rid Hollands
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2019

This was horrendous. Admittedly we bullet climbed it with no accommodation though - We started at the Shrine at 2.30pm which was pretty (although soon need to be on look out for bears once outside the shrine) but I wouldn’t wish this hike on an enemy. For a start, we seemed to be the only ones stupid enough to start from the shrine, so it was 18 miles in total, we finished at 9.30am the second day. When we got to 8th station we shuffled in line for about 2 hrs to get to the summit, this was on a Tuesday at about 2am, so only had 45 minutes until sunrise! The sunrise was incredible though but didn’t make up for the awful descent - dusty, never ending switchbacks, tons of people. Truly a hateful experience, save your effort for something more enjoyable.

View Rid's Recording
Krysti Odum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2019
Hiking

The ascend was much easier than the descend. If going in July, still prepare for cold weather.

Sandeep H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2019
Hiking

I did this trail July 17 (overnight stay at Fujisan hotel 8th station). It’s a hard climb with some portions over giant lava rocks. Reserve hut ahead of time. Reservation in Japanese only. Have to pay in cash. Overnight stay highly recommended. From 8th station I started my ascend to the peak at 1am. Took 90 mins to get to the top. It’s VERY VERY cold and windy. Good jackets, gloves, layers are very very important. Go early and get a front row seat to nature’s magical show. Hiking poles are a life saver both going up and coming down. Bus (Expressway) reservation is a must or you run the risk of getting delayed coming back to Tokyo. It’s a 130 min one way road trip. No trash cans on the train so carry your trash. On the mountains it’s cash economy and things are very expensive. Sleeping for whatever few hours is near impossible. Everyone is crammed next to each other. No showers or fancy bathrooms so prepare to get sticky ‘ecky and power thru. The view from the top is majestic. You can take an onsen package of you are staying in Kawaguchiko. What a great trip. Checked off my bucket list.

Neng Chua
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
Hiking

Nice hike up as the weather had just cleared up. Beautiful scenery and also managed to catch the sunset while we were hiking up to our mountain hut. Rested a couple of hours at the mountain hut to prepare for summit to watch the sunrise. However it rained heavily all night and we will advised that it was too dangerous and we might not see the sunrise at all. Waited till morning before we hiked up to the summit. Drizzling but it did not dampen our spirit!

Danny Singleton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2019
Hiking

I just finished my Fuji hike. I wasn’t impressed. Took me 4 hours up and 2.5 down. Stayed in a hut overnight. Saw the summit, got the stick and did all the stuff I was told I had to do. And still I wasn’t impressed. I guess it is more about saying “I hiked Mt. Fuji” than it is about enjoying what you see while hiking it. I love hiking and I really enjoy seeing the beauties the world has and didn’t feel anything about this hike.

Morten Tarris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2019
HikingRockyScramble
Archana Srivastava
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2019
Hiking

Hiked up with a group. Trail was closed beyond 8.5 station and could not summit. Weather turned - 120 km/hr winds with powerful rain and sleet - no views due to the weather but totally worth it!! The hike itself was not too hard, the weather and altitude made it harder. Stayed overnight at 8th base, heard the wind howling all night long! Everyone sleeps in sleeping bags, close to each other! Very hard to sleep. If you ask and pay, you can buy some cheap Sake

danny s
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockyWashed out

went up on a whim without a lot of preparation in sneakers and t-shirt. the weather conditions were well enough, lot's of fog but not very cold until the 8th station. due to a landslide everything beyond 8.5 was closed of, which was a shame, but the view from 8.5 was worth the climb. it's notable that the mountain huts are merciles about exhaustion or bad weather they won't allow you shelter even if you buy overpriced soup or coffee. you have to drink it on the bench in front of the hut, which are the worst place to rest since the wind really gets you. also toilets are available, average price is 200¥ but bring your own soapbar and a towel. the climb itself is pretty easy. first you walk up slops of gravel, then you pull up steep rocks and stairs. the way down was currently the emergency rout and had no solit footing, just gravel und dust on very steep slopes, exhausting to walk on not out of a fear of falling but because the aggressive red sand gets everywhere. it took me 5h up including lot's of small rests and 2.5h down.