Mt Takao Loop

Mt Takao Loop is a 6.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near 八王子市, Tokyo, Japan that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.8 km Elevation Gain: 396 m Route Type: Loop

historic site

Mt Takao (Takaosan) number 6 trail up and number 4 down to 1 at the monkey zoo. Then took a side way back directly to JR Takao station. It is mostly moderate but it gets steep near the top. Also coming down can be hard on your knees. Watch out for loose rock and slippery leaves.

Date: Monday, July 1, 2019 Weather: Very humid, on and off sprinkling, about 78F Up: Trail 6 Down: Trail 1 to Takaosan Station and took the cable car down My total time: arrived at station 1pm, looked around/restroom, started ascending up trail 6 at 1:30pm. Got to the top at around 2:30pm. Trail 1 down with sightseeing, got back to Takaosanguchi station around 4pm. When I got to Tachosanguchi station via the Keio express line, I got an English map from the information center next to the train gate. Then took trail 6 up. Lots of branches and rocks. If you look at the big sign, you make a left and go straight to the Kiyotaki Station. This is where the cable car and lift is. On the left, past it, you’re gonna walk up the road and the trailhead for Trail 6 will be on the left. The floor was kind of slippery towards the end because it was pretty much just mud. I wore my Adidas Ultraboost and I managed. Easy 2 mile trail up. You’re hiking along the river which is really pretty and peaceful. You can hear the birds singing too. Follow the signs and it’s a very straightforward trail. For some forks, just go up since the peak is at the top. There’s a part of the trail called “Stepping Stones” where you actually go upstream and step on the rocks to get up. I was kind of confused when I saw the sign that pointed upstream. But I saw someone coming down so I figured it’s correct. Pretty cool experience! The last part of trail 6 has a lot of steps which exhausted me. I made sure to take breaks whenever I felt tired. The top has vending machines, viewpoint, toilets, and some eatery. It was super cloudy so I couldn’t see anything. The visitors center is there but I didn’t look inside. On my way down, I took trail 1 so I can sightsee the temple. I got my goushin (stamp) for 300 yen. The goushin stall is down the steps from the main hall next to the strip of vendors. There are many goushincho (stamp books) sold there as well. Super pretty and you can buy a matching bag! I got to the cable car station (Takaosan Station) and the sign said it would take 40 minutes to get down to the main Takaosanguchi station. I decided to take the cable car down which only took 3 minutes. I haven’t worked out in 4 or 5 months, but I used to hike once a month or two months in 2018. I felt okay going up. I took breaks when I got tired and drank water. It was pretty empty on trail 6. I think I only passed 4 people total on the whole way up. When I got to the top, I saw more people and on trail 1 as well. But maybe because it’s a Monday and raining that it was super vacant. Family friendly! Saw a group of elementary or kindergarten kids coming down. They have a place for you to scrub your shoes down after you hike. It’s next to the big sign at Takaosanguchi Station. Overall, a good beginner hike!

Trail 6 up, Inayari down Super busy on holidays!

A great little day trip and decent view of Mt Fuji!

Great trail!

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Nice and relaxing trails. I took trail 6 up to the top. It was easy route. I saw a small waterfall called Biwataki waterfall on the way up. I took Inari trail on the way back which was a bit more fun and a bit more steep. But overall nice and relaxing trail. Kids friendly so I saw several families with kids. Nice getaway from a big city!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A short hike with spectacular views, temples.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

awesome escape from the city during a work trip weekend. took the hard trail up, temple at the top, lots of shrines all along, took the paved path down.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We took trail 1, paved, to the top. it was a bit crowded but had all the sights. We took trail 6 down which was a dirt trail yo the forest. It descended down to a stream and you actually walk in the stream bed for a little bit. Trail 6 was much quieter and enjoyable.

Sunday, April 29, 2018