Learn more

Mount Takao Loop: Trail 6 - Trail 4 is a 4.2 mile loop trail located near Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Length 4.2 mi Elevation gain 1,299 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

Historic site

Description
Waypoints (3)

このコースは、高尾山を経由して高尾山登山コースの6号路と4号路を通ります。高尾山の頂上に向かう途中にある琵琶滝を眺めたり、4号路にある吊り橋(みやま橋)を渡ることが出来ます。

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (56)
Photos (570)
Recordings (44)
Completed (121)
Rock Eastwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

Here is the thing about Mount Takao. It's terrible. But hear me out. For hiking it's absolutely terrible. It's too crowded and nobody wants to see a paved road in the mountains. However, Mount Takao is a SUPER important mountain. Imagine how many Japanese took their first steps into nature right here. This was the very beginning for a lot of people. Their very first tozan adventure. For that it needs it props for helping cultivate a healthy fun hobby. But any experienced hiker would call this trash. It's simply not for us is all.

Yazmin Dragoon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 11, 2020
HikingMuddy

Love this trail! Found parking and took my Alaskan malamutes who enjoyed it too.

Robert Gottesman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 25, 2019
Hiking

Didn't actually do a loop. Started out at Monkey Zoo (which I really enjoyed) then headed back down to trail #6 up to Mount Takao (wonderful trail). Instead of circling back continued to Mt Shiroyama. From there it's all downhill (hard for for some knees) to the city Sagamihara Chigira. Hopped on rail at back to Tokyo.

View Robert's Recording
Arthur Scruggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 14, 2019

fun hike

Daniel McLeish
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 13, 2019
Hiking

Took trail 6 from beside the gondola station up to Mt. Takao. I was feeling pretty good so I continued the hike to mount shiroyama! I then started my descent to chigira where I took public transportation back to Tokyo!

View Daniel's Recording
Sajith Ranasinghe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 17, 2019
Hiking

Awesome hike, definitely agree w everyone that says avoid trail number 1. We did 6 most of the way and had to do detour to top but everything was marked so well. Get a trail map at info station. Note, no trash cans anywhere so bring a bag to take trash home. Few bathrooms but maybe I missed something at top. Summit has nice food.

View Sajith's Recording
Mitch Korman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2019
Hiking

Took route 1 up and it was paved, very crowded and passes through shrines, etc. Would recommend Inariyama Route which is more forested.

View Mitch's Recording
Andrew W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2019
Hiking

Great trail system but a little busy. We came on a Friday and took the inariyama trail up and trail 4-1 down. We would definitely recommend anything other than the paved trail 1 as it was consistently steep and had a lot more people walking it.

View Andrew's Recording
Aidan Maguire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019
Running

I was hit full force with Mt Takau! Very touristy at the base of the mountain but for good reason. An awesome little town to day trip to from tokyo and even though it was crowded (being a saturday with great weather) it’s probably not always like this, and also some of the trail routes were closed i think due to the monsoon. Beautiful place though and well worth a day trip! I came back down using the Inariyama trail which was super nice. Also plently of cafes and stops on the way up for a beer with a view! Lots of japanese folks go to the top and have picnics. There are a lot of people but its a cultural experience to see. Stop in the town after and explore! I got some amazing Soba noodles and Sake before the train back. Cheers

View Aidan's Recording
Arjen Andringa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

I took both trail 8 and trail 1 up and down, along trail 1 are the most touristic attractions, such as temples. However, for both hiking up and down, trail 1 is quite a tough one. Trail 8 is much easier and goes through the forest instead of over the crowded paved road.

Elizabeth Privitera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2019
Hiking

I took trail 1 up to the top and the signs were hard to follow. Be prepared for lots of stairs. But there was a lot to see on the way up. Took trail 6 down. Much less people and more of a nature trail so I would recommend taking trail 6 both ways! Signs are much easier to find and it’s more peaceful.

Rebecca Stein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2019
Hiking

Took trail 6 up and trail 1 down. Enjoyed the hike up, going down was paved and more crowded. It was very humid and foggy, so no view from the top. Would recommend going on a clearer day.

Matthew Weber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2019

Good hike!

Victoria Pham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2019
Hiking

Date: Monday, July 1, 2019 Weather: Very humid, on and off sprinkling, about 78F Up: Trail 6 Down: Trail 1 to Takaosan Station and took the cable car down My total time: arrived at station 1pm, looked around/restroom, started ascending up trail 6 at 1:30pm. Got to the top at around 2:30pm. Trail 1 down with sightseeing, got back to Takaosanguchi station around 4pm. When I got to Tachosanguchi station via the Keio express line, I got an English map from the information center next to the train gate. Then took trail 6 up. Lots of branches and rocks. If you look at the big sign, you make a left and go straight to the Kiyotaki Station. This is where the cable car and lift is. On the left, past it, you’re gonna walk up the road and the trailhead for Trail 6 will be on the left. The floor was kind of slippery towards the end because it was pretty much just mud. I wore my Adidas Ultraboost and I managed. Easy 2 mile trail up. You’re hiking along the river which is really pretty and peaceful. You can hear the birds singing too. Follow the signs and it’s a very straightforward trail. For some forks, just go up since the peak is at the top. There’s a part of the trail called “Stepping Stones” where you actually go upstream and step on the rocks to get up. I was kind of confused when I saw the sign that pointed upstream. But I saw someone coming down so I figured it’s correct. Pretty cool experience! The last part of trail 6 has a lot of steps which exhausted me. I made sure to take breaks whenever I felt tired. The top has vending machines, viewpoint, toilets, and some eatery. It was super cloudy so I couldn’t see anything. The visitors center is there but I didn’t look inside. On my way down, I took trail 1 so I can sightsee the temple. I got my goushin (stamp) for 300 yen. The goushin stall is down the steps from the main hall next to the strip of vendors. There are many goushincho (stamp books) sold there as well. Super pretty and you can buy a matching bag! I got to the cable car station (Takaosan Station) and the sign said it would take 40 minutes to get down to the main Takaosanguchi station. I decided to take the cable car down which only took 3 minutes. I haven’t worked out in 4 or 5 months, but I used to hike once a month or two months in 2018. I felt okay going up. I took breaks when I got tired and drank water. It was pretty empty on trail 6. I think I only passed 4 people total on the whole way up. When I got to the top, I saw more people and on trail 1 as well. But maybe because it’s a Monday and raining that it was super vacant. Family friendly! Saw a group of elementary or kindergarten kids coming down. They have a place for you to scrub your shoes down after you hike. It’s next to the big sign at Takaosanguchi Station. Overall, a good beginner hike!

View Victoria's Recording
Corey C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 25, 2018

Trail 6 up, Inayari down Super busy on holidays!

Mark Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2018
Hiking

A great little day trip and decent view of Mt Fuji!

Mark DeVault
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2018

Great trail!

Machiko Obikawa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2018
Hiking

Nice and relaxing trails. I took trail 6 up to the top. It was easy route. I saw a small waterfall called Biwataki waterfall on the way up. I took Inari trail on the way back which was a bit more fun and a bit more steep. But overall nice and relaxing trail. Kids friendly so I saw several families with kids. Nice getaway from a big city!

Tammy Nguyen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 18, 2018
Hiking

A short hike with spectacular views, temples.

Eric Pearson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2017
Hiking

awesome escape from the city during a work trip weekend. took the hard trail up, temple at the top, lots of shrines all along, took the paved path down.

Vera McMurrin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2017
First to Review

We took trail 1, paved, to the top. it was a bit crowded but had all the sights. We took trail 6 down which was a dirt trail yo the forest. It descended down to a stream and you actually walk in the stream bed for a little bit. Trail 6 was much quieter and enjoyable.

Kristen Henigan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
View Kristen's Recording
Dohyung Kim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 11, 2020
View Dohyung's Recording
Do Na
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 4, 2020
View Do's Recording
Nozomi Hirano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2020
View Nozomi's Recording
Aud Chua
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 30, 2019
View Aud's Recording
Thibault Bagnol
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 29, 2019
View Thibault's Recording
Tony D'ee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 24, 2019
View Tony's Recording
Ruechakorn Promsiri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 9, 2019
View Ruechakorn's Recording
Camila O.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 30, 2019
View Camila's Recording