Learn more

Mt Takao Loop is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,299 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Mt Takao (Takaosan) number 6 trail up and number 4 down to 1 at the monkey zoo. Then took a side way back directly to JR Takao station. It is mostly moderate but it gets steep near the top. Also coming down can be hard on your knees. Watch out for loose rock and slippery leaves.

Love this trail! Found parking and took my Alaskan malamutes who enjoyed it too.

Didn't actually do a loop. Started out at Monkey Zoo (which I really enjoyed) then headed back down to trail #6 up to Mount Takao (wonderful trail). Instead of circling back continued to Mt Shiroyama. From there it's all downhill (hard for for some knees) to the city Sagamihara Chigira. Hopped on rail at back to Tokyo.

fun hike

Took trail 6 from beside the gondola station up to Mt. Takao. I was feeling pretty good so I continued the hike to mount shiroyama! I then started my descent to chigira where I took public transportation back to Tokyo!

Awesome hike, definitely agree w everyone that says avoid trail number 1. We did 6 most of the way and had to do detour to top but everything was marked so well. Get a trail map at info station. Note, no trash cans anywhere so bring a bag to take trash home. Few bathrooms but maybe I missed something at top. Summit has nice food.

Took route 1 up and it was paved, very crowded and passes through shrines, etc. Would recommend Inariyama Route which is more forested.

Great trail system but a little busy. We came on a Friday and took the inariyama trail up and trail 4-1 down. We would definitely recommend anything other than the paved trail 1 as it was consistently steep and had a lot more people walking it.

I was hit full force with Mt Takau! Very touristy at the base of the mountain but for good reason. An awesome little town to day trip to from tokyo and even though it was crowded (being a saturday with great weather) it’s probably not always like this, and also some of the trail routes were closed i think due to the monsoon. Beautiful place though and well worth a day trip! I came back down using the Inariyama trail which was super nice. Also plently of cafes and stops on the way up for a beer with a view! Lots of japanese folks go to the top and have picnics. There are a lot of people but its a cultural experience to see. Stop in the town after and explore! I got some amazing Soba noodles and Sake before the train back. Cheers

I took both trail 8 and trail 1 up and down, along trail 1 are the most touristic attractions, such as temples. However, for both hiking up and down, trail 1 is quite a tough one. Trail 8 is much easier and goes through the forest instead of over the crowded paved road.

I took trail 1 up to the top and the signs were hard to follow. Be prepared for lots of stairs. But there was a lot to see on the way up. Took trail 6 down. Much less people and more of a nature trail so I would recommend taking trail 6 both ways! Signs are much easier to find and it’s more peaceful.

Took trail 6 up and trail 1 down. Enjoyed the hike up, going down was paved and more crowded. It was very humid and foggy, so no view from the top. Would recommend going on a clearer day.

Good hike!

Mon Jul 01 2019

Date: Monday, July 1, 2019 Weather: Very humid, on and off sprinkling, about 78F Up: Trail 6 Down: Trail 1 to Takaosan Station and took the cable car down My total time: arrived at station 1pm, looked around/restroom, started ascending up trail 6 at 1:30pm. Got to the top at around 2:30pm. Trail 1 down with sightseeing, got back to Takaosanguchi station around 4pm. When I got to Tachosanguchi station via the Keio express line, I got an English map from the information center next to the train gate. Then took trail 6 up. Lots of branches and rocks. If you look at the big sign, you make a left and go straight to the Kiyotaki Station. This is where the cable car and lift is. On the left, past it, you’re gonna walk up the road and the trailhead for Trail 6 will be on the left. The floor was kind of slippery towards the end because it was pretty much just mud. I wore my Adidas Ultraboost and I managed. Easy 2 mile trail up. You’re hiking along the river which is really pretty and peaceful. You can hear the birds singing too. Follow the signs and it’s a very straightforward trail. For some forks, just go up since the peak is at the top. There’s a part of the trail called “Stepping Stones” where you actually go upstream and step on the rocks to get up. I was kind of confused when I saw the sign that pointed upstream. But I saw someone coming down so I figured it’s correct. Pretty cool experience! The last part of trail 6 has a lot of steps which exhausted me. I made sure to take breaks whenever I felt tired. The top has vending machines, viewpoint, toilets, and some eatery. It was super cloudy so I couldn’t see anything. The visitors center is there but I didn’t look inside. On my way down, I took trail 1 so I can sightsee the temple. I got my goushin (stamp) for 300 yen. The goushin stall is down the steps from the main hall next to the strip of vendors. There are many goushincho (stamp books) sold there as well. Super pretty and you can buy a matching bag! I got to the cable car station (Takaosan Station) and the sign said it would take 40 minutes to get down to the main Takaosanguchi station. I decided to take the cable car down which only took 3 minutes. I haven’t worked out in 4 or 5 months, but I used to hike once a month or two months in 2018. I felt okay going up. I took breaks when I got tired and drank water. It was pretty empty on trail 6. I think I only passed 4 people total on the whole way up. When I got to the top, I saw more people and on trail 1 as well. But maybe because it’s a Monday and raining that it was super vacant. Family friendly! Saw a group of elementary or kindergarten kids coming down. They have a place for you to scrub your shoes down after you hike. It’s next to the big sign at Takaosanguchi Station. Overall, a good beginner hike!

Sun Nov 25 2018

Trail 6 up, Inayari down Super busy on holidays!

Mon Jul 30 2018

A great little day trip and decent view of Mt Fuji!

Sat Jul 28 2018

Great trail!

Sun Apr 22 2018

Nice and relaxing trails. I took trail 6 up to the top. It was easy route. I saw a small waterfall called Biwataki waterfall on the way up. I took Inari trail on the way back which was a bit more fun and a bit more steep. But overall nice and relaxing trail. Kids friendly so I saw several families with kids. Nice getaway from a big city!

Wed Apr 18 2018

A short hike with spectacular views, temples.

Tue Oct 10 2017

awesome escape from the city during a work trip weekend. took the hard trail up, temple at the top, lots of shrines all along, took the paved path down.

Sun Jun 04 2017

We took trail 1, paved, to the top. it was a bit crowded but had all the sights. We took trail 6 down which was a dirt trail yo the forest. It descended down to a stream and you actually walk in the stream bed for a little bit. Trail 6 was much quieter and enjoyable.

recorded Mt Takao Loop