Learn more

Mount Fuji Subashiri Trail [CLOSED] is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fujiyoshida Shi, Yamanashi, Japan that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from March until October.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 5,721 ft Route type Out & Back

Closed

No shade

Description
Waypoints (8)

2020年現在、COVID-19対策により富士山は閉鎖されています。詳しくは公園のページでご確認ください。 須走ルートは富士山の頂上に続く4つの主要な登山道の1つです。この登山道は八合目で吉田ルートと合流しているため、八合目から混雑が予想されます。

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (38)
Photos (290)
Recordings (31)
Completed (77)
Andrew Skarvinko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2019
Hiking

Avoid the crowds! Choose this path! Depending on where you’re coming from, you may need to transfer. From Kawaguciko station, take the bus to Subashiri shrine (stop is in the low 40s). From that stop, cross the street and that’s where the Subashiri bus picks up. There is not much at the beginning of the trail, I’d recommend buying what you need at the Lawson’s right next to the bus stop when you transfer. The trail is unreal nice! Lots of pumice paths through a low alpine forest, lots of shade. Slow and steady the whole way. I’m fast and hit the summit after four hours with breaks. Bucket list, adios.

Clarck Perez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

I ascended Fuji the first week of August in order to avoid large crowds during the second week of August. The weather was good with temperatures averaging from 17c - 4/5c (at the coldest). Below are some tips for those attempting to climb for the first time. —————————————————————————————- -Bring snacks and water in order to avoid high costs once on the mountain - If you’re planning to hike overnight to reach the summit for sunrise consider the following items; Flashlight or headlight, warm layers, charging docks, waterproof gear. -Book accommodations prior to the hike if stopping at the stations for some rest. - Pace yourself and avoid rushing to the top - Pack light and avoid any unnecessary items.

Angela Pedrola
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2019
Hiking

Absolutely amazing. Hike up is a different path to the hike down. The hike down is a sand run which is quite steep & hard on the knees. I recommend wearing gaiters. Would also recommend decent light hiking poles which I used the entire hike up & down. Incredible views and the crater walk was also spectacular.

Anamaria Popescu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2019

Just did it. Worth it but it is hard on the knees coming down! Use Fuji Mountain Guides, they are great!

Doug Alexander
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2019
Hiking

downhill rough on knees. lots of sand, little rocks, dust.gets in boots so wear Gators.

View Doug's Recording
Michael Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2019
Hiking

Did this trail.6/25/2019 before it officially opened for the season. Very few fellow hikers on way up, but ran into a handful of guided hikers on their way up to stay overnight in huts and be on summit for sunrise tomorrow. It was easy to follow on way up but some intersections and convergences with bulldozer road can get confusing. Used AllTrails app to make sure we took correct trail. It is very difficult due to steepness and amount of elevation gain. The payoff though to get to summit with clear skies is worth it. I strongly recommend doing the crater loop at the top. If you do in season there is food, drinks and toilets(100 yen) on the trail. Not exactly a wilderness experience but still a great trail.

Justin S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 23, 2019
HikingClosedNo shadeOff trailRockyScrambleSnow

Climbed this off season in May of 2017 with a guide. A guide is a must during that time of the year. Snow is deep and dangerous. This is a beast of a mountain with the altitude but worth every step. We glissaded down in less than an hour (speedy) almost launched ourselves off the mountain. Glissade was probably the most treacherous part because with the angles sometimes you just can’t stop. Worth every minute. I would definitely do this again.

Brian Tiffany
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2018
Hiking

Climbed Mt Fuji via the Subashiri trail on August 30th starting shortly after 1pm. Very enjoyable hike up under some patchy clouds with the occasional glimpse of the summit area. I chose this trail specifically due to it being the less traveled path and because it has a more forested approach which was very nice instead of the more barren trails. We arrived at the Fuji hotel at the 8th station just after 5pm after stopping at all of the stations along the way to have my hiking stick branded. The next morning we left the hut around 2am along with everyone else and this made for a slow climb to the summit. We arrived at the summit before dawn and began our hike around the caldera looking for a place to watch the sunrise. Found a nice spot, had some food and watched an amazing sunrise. After the sun came up I continued around the caldera to the weather station and back to the start point. It was very cold and very windy in spots but was well worth the effort, and the morning crowds that were actually not as bad as I was expecting. We descended via the Yoshida trail in about three hours.

Dale Mc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2018

Climbed up the Yoshida trail, but because of weather conditions (gale force winds), I had to descend this trail. The decent was very difficult, I could not imagine climbing it. I would not recommend anyone to ascend Fuji using this trail.

Malcolm Rios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2018
Hiking

Challenging hike up a trail less traveled by the masses which was exactly what I wanted. Great views along the way up. Cloud coverage whilst at the summit. Lava rock running on parts of the way down made for a good time. Glad I chose this route first.

Taylor Austin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2018
Hiking

Met a guy at the summit who had climbed 3 times, I then told him I took the Subashiri Route and literally hopped off the couch and made it to see the sunrise and wasn’t completely dying...the guy says “you’re nuts! I’ve done it 3 times and wouldn’t take that route!!!” So maybe ignorance was bliss for a few fleeting moments, but it’s not easy, once you get above alpine (and crawling large rock “steps” through the humid forest) the footing gets loose, and just continues to get worse so be ready to pack light (unlike me who was ready for Lhotse

Daniel Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 9, 2018
Hiking

I have hiked on 4 continents, hundreds of miles and hands down this was the hardest hike I have ever done, also the most worthwhile. I did this halfway through a deployment so my fitness was way down, but it is still a long, steep and super challenging hike, very crowded at the beginning of the trail but the closer to the peak the smaller the crowd. It is very steep with sharp rocks, lots of facilities along the way to get your hiking staff branded (for a price of course) or grab a snack or water. Once you get to the ridge it is another mile or so to the peak and even steeper. I heard a proverb “a wise man climbs Mt. Fuji, only a fool climbs it twice” and it is true, a challenge, worthwhile but not for the faint of heart.

E G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2017
Hiking

This was by far my hardest hiking experience. Full disclosure, I haven't really exercised before the hike so that may have added to my struggle. It took me over 6 hours to hike from the 5th station to the 8th station where we stayed for the night before we woke up at 2:50 am to hike the summit in time for the sunrise. The hardest part for me was the sand run on our descent. Other factors that made this hike difficult is the elevation. I was not affected by elevation but my brother had to stay behind because he had trouble breathing. It was also raining the whole time during our ascent.

Jenny Heinze
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2017

We planned two days trip to Mount Fuji. Saw The great sunrise after starting early morning hiking at 3 am. It's rained heavily so I suggest you prepare well on your rain gear. Take your time going up since the elevation change might effect your breathing. Overall it's a great trip

Brandy Atkinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2017
First to Review

Hiked it many years ago when I was in Japan. The view from the top is quite amazing.

Chelsea Vittorio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 23, 2020
Chelsea Labriole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2019
View Chelsea's Recording
Daniel Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2019
Nils Alb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2019
View Nils's Recording
Christine Bonham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2019
View Christine's Recording
Anne Ladegaard Skov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2019
Eisuke Arai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
View Eisuke's Recording
Nick Morrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2019
View Nick's Recording