Mount Fuji Trail (Subashiri Trail)

Mount Fuji Trail (Subashiri Trail) is a 11.7 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tarōbō, Shizuoka, Japan that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

11.7 km
1744 m

Subashiri trail is one of four main trails leading up to the summit of Mount Fuji. Subashiri is a much less crowded route compared to the more popular Yoshida trail. There are fewer huts on the trail, therefore fewer stops and bathroom breaks. The trail meets Yoshida trail at the eighth station, so there will still be some congestion.

I have hiked on 4 continents, hundreds of miles and hands down this was the hardest hike I have ever done, also the most worthwhile. I did this halfway through a deployment so my fitness was way down, but it is still a long, steep and super challenging hike, very crowded at the beginning of the trail but the closer to the peak the smaller the crowd. It is very steep with sharp rocks, lots of facilities along the way to get your hiking staff branded (for a price of course) or grab a snack or water. Once you get to the ridge it is another mile or so to the peak and even steeper. I heard a proverb “a wise man climbs Mt. Fuji, only a fool climbs it twice” and it is true, a challenge, worthwhile but not for the faint of heart.

This was by far my hardest hiking experience. Full disclosure, I haven't really exercised before the hike so that may have added to my struggle. It took me over 6 hours to hike from the 5th station to the 8th station where we stayed for the night before we woke up at 2:50 am to hike the summit in time for the sunrise. The hardest part for me was the sand run on our descent. Other factors that made this hike difficult is the elevation. I was not affected by elevation but my brother had to stay behind because he had trouble breathing. It was also raining the whole time during our ascent.

We planned two days trip to Mount Fuji. Saw The great sunrise after starting early morning hiking at 3 am. It's rained heavily so I suggest you prepare well on your rain gear. Take your time going up since the elevation change might effect your breathing. Overall it's a great trip

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Hiked it many years ago when I was in Japan. The view from the top is quite amazing.